5 - Diary of a dead girl walking

"Luna, Luna, are you there?"
Groaning, Luna forced her eyelids open, squinting at the bright light filling the room. She slowly caught up with her brain as she realised she was in hospital. Looking to her right, she saw Allison clutching her hand - a concerned but relived smile came over her when she saw Luna was awake. Mike was also there, but was fast asleep in an armchair across the room, snoring loudly.
"Goodness, Luna, you scared me to death." Allison sighed heavily, turning to Mike, "Mike, wake up!"

Mike woke with a start, "Oh, hey, Luna! You're alive!"
Luna chuckled, but quickly regretted it as a sharp pain shot down her left side. "Agh, I feel horrible," she groaned, "what happened?"
Allison looked at her and squeezed her hand tightly as she began, "Well, you had quite a nasty fall - your horse reared and bucked when the car sped past, entirely the driver's fault, not yours. You were unconscious for 2 days. Luna, I was so scared." She took another shaky breath before continuing, "They scanned you when the ambulance got you here; no serious head trauma thankfully, but you have 6 stitches where your head struck a rock. And you managed to fracture 2 ribs. Not bad for a day out, don't you think?" She tried to joke, and Luna cracked a weak smile.

"So, when am I allowed out of here?" Luna asked, already sick of lying in a hospital bed - it only reminded her of painful memories. Allison picked up on this, "Um, well they said you should stay in for at least another day so they can keep an eye on you, but you should be able to come home tomorrow. Mike says he wants to bake you a cake." She laughed lightly, deliberately poking fun at her husband.
"Hey! That was supposed to be a surprise!" He exclaimed, crossing his arms in a childlike grudge, but a small smile giving his amusement away.
"I'll stay here though," Allison said, "and Mike's gonna go back and make sure the house is still standing, right Mike?"
"Yup. I'll be here at 10am tomorrow to pick you guys up, see you soon."

——/——/——

Mike felt a little on edge as he approached the house and parked the car in the driveway. He'd of course been alone with the ghosts before, and he wasn't scared of them anymore - just a little wary. Allison had given him some instructions, and then he'd get to bake the cake.
Hmm, what flavour? Chocolate? He thought for a second. Yeah. Chocolate.

He entered the house, set his keys down and said loudly, "Hey, um, ghosts? Allison told me to tell you something, so, uh, can you let me know when you guys are all here? Could you, like, knock once on the kitchen door or something?"
He looked around for a moment before heading into the kitchen to start setting out the ingredients he would need, and checking that they had everything.
"Do you hear that, everyone?" Pat said; he had been playing chess with Robin, since Julian had had enough of the game. Or had enough of losing the game anyway. "Michael has a message for us!"

The Captain snapped to attention as he heard this, "I'll get the others." He turned on his heel and marched through the wall.

——/——/——

Once all the ghosts were gathered together around the kitchen table, watching Mike set out the flour, eggs, sugar and weighing scales, the Captain nodded to Julian.
He sighed, "You know, I'm a gift. Not a tool."
The other simply raised their eyebrows. "Fine, fine, fine!" He grumbled, as he strained all his concentration on hand and the door.
*Knock*
Mike looked up with a start, "Oh, cool, ok... You're all here? Ok, right." He looked vaguely towards the ceiling as he addressed them, "Luna is in the hospital at the moment, and she's been in a coma for about 2 days - you've probably noticed she hasn't been back yet."
He must've known the ghosts would react at this, as he gave them a few seconds to process before he continued. They all looked around at one another, concern written across their expressions, but Pat motioned for them all to keep quiet so they could hear the rest of what Mike had to say.
"Allison is with her too, she's fine though, but Luna had a rather nasty head injury and cracked a few ribs. She's been given the all clear to come back tomorrow, but Allison thought it'd be good to let you guys know. So, uh, that's it." He gave a small smile and awkward thumbs up to the air, before turning back to reading the recipe.