Evelyn, Evelyn

The cold stone in his hand felt comforting with each one he laid out on the ground, forming the familiar building as the sun set off in the West. Tommy has no idea how far in the jungle he is, or how long he took to get here. What he does know is that he's made at least a dozen of these buildings in the path he's taken, a few days were used to mine and collect resources but outside of collecting the materials there wasn't much else he did besides continuing further in or sleeping to help his pained wounds. After so much time had passed he was happy to know that his wing's ache had dulled, now being able to stretch it out far enough for his feathers to extend past his arms.

After staring down at the base of whatever he was making Tommy put away his materials for the time being, unable to look at the structure. Then he had simply attempted a few experimental beats of his wings to push himself up a few feet into the air, and with a silent cheer for himself he made it in the air with minimal pain. Though there was a minor hiss that left him when there was a slight bit more strain in his wings than what he was expecting, it made the joy fall through to make the moment bittersweet. A deep sigh escaped him as he carefully leaned back and rested himself to look up to the skies above him. A pain had flickered in his chest, but it had no external cause, just the internal need to find solstice in the sky.

An even deeper necessity to be with the people he cared for. To see his friends soft smile that was worn so brightly, his fathers kind face that was worn down with time, his brothers nimbly hands that had always managed to create the perfect tune from his guitar, Technoblades excessive uncaring facade that would crack whenever he offered his cloak to Tommy when the cold grew too much for him, even Ranboo's calming voice that had delved deeper into an enderman dialect when his emotions ran high. Yet these perfect memories were quickly plagued with the other side of themselves, the ragged reality that was pained to reimagine, that he tried to avoid but his mind refused to let the thoughts leave.

Ranboo's painfully inexpressive face as he accepted the fall of L'Manburg so easily. The maniac expression that had flushed away with heaving breaths and tremors as a sword went through the stomach of Wilbur's torso. The once empathetic Phil who held onto his dear son after his death, to the cold smile that he bestowed as he watched the TNT fall on doomsday. The secret soft underside of Technoblade was quickly armored as he laughed out in battle, knowing the extremes to which they went to make the land a home, only to watch it burn into nothing more than a crater into the world.

Then there's Tubbo. His friend, who stood by him in battle. Tubbo who sat by him as they listened to his discs. Tubbo who was always his rock, the person who always was there to ground him. Tubbo who spied for him. Tubbo who risked his life for him. Tubbo who lost his life for being caught on his side. Tubbo, his close friend also down to his last life. The same Tubbo who exiled him, sending him to an isolated hell, forcing him to cling to Technoblade for support. Hiding his shaking limbs during that time with an obnoxious smile and an overuse of jokes, managing to hide his nightmares from the man who brought them.

The same Tubbo who had attempted to execute the person who took in Tommy. Tubbo who befriended Dream as he mentally tormented him without fear of repercussion. Tubbo, when Tommy faced the biggest loss so far, when he watched the fruits of labor and war spoil in front of them. Watched as it blew up in his face just as so many pieces of armor and weapons he had worked so hard for had been in the past. The vivid memories of the yelling were ingrained into the sides of his skull. But he tried to push away the thoughts, and connections of him and the rest. He was furious in the moment and in just as much pain. Tubbo was angry, but he wasn't angry at him. He was upset, but he wasn't upset at him.

But the way he yelled at Tommy only made him curl into his own body, bring his wings around him defensively as he prepared for the expected emotional impact that was going to come hit him without a doubt, the memories had stabbed at his mind, singed the edges with fire. His friend was a constant pillar in his life, and to finally feel the uneven break between them, caused by no one else but themselves. Tommy couldn't imagine going up to him again to see him face to face. Not anymore at least that is.