Chapter 17 (Holly Vendetta Chapter 4)

The ground stopped shaking. In front of me stood two grand colossal sized doors outlined in a glowing blue light with inscriptions on it. Not any language that I was familiar with, so why bother reading.

Walking through these doors should lead me to what I have been working so hard for, since defeating Keres. All these years of suffering and loss, will not have been in vain. Even beating all these monsters throughout the walls of this tower. Hopefully, the information I gathered was accurate. The end goal I am after will finally save the world.

As I opened the doors, thinking that my reward would be sitting there on top of a pedestal, that I would not need to go through anymore hardship. Creaking heavily, Laying there behind it all should be the fallen object that started it all. Pulling it out of where it laid should finally put an end to all of this and the world will be saved.

Instead, a sinister looking humanlike figure stood before me, it was though he had been waiting for me from the moment I had set foot into the dungeon. Dressed with a black cloth around his neck and strange clean clothing. He remained there, staring down at his hands.

I expected nothing less from this hellish dungeon. Even after beating the final boss, it left a guardian monster to protect its more prized possession. The human form this monster took was just to merely knock me off my concentration, I'm sure of it. Regardless of looks, I have no choice but to take him out to reach my goal. I should strike before it notices me.

Oh crap. He looked up.

He lifted his right arm with his palm facing me and looked like he was going to say something. I could not care less for a magic chant or villainous monologues as the thought of assassinating him clouded my better judgement. Without hesitation, I lunged forward and impaled my curved blade into his palm, petrifying him enough to not speak. As his eyes traced the edge of my blade pierced into his hand, he glance at me before shoving his palm deeper into my blade till it reached the guard. Grabbing hold of my blade by the guard, he pulled me towards him and took a shot at my stomach, kicking me. Leaping back as I pulled my blade out of his grasp, I knelt down holding my stomach firmly and gritted my teeth.

I've fought monster twice or even twenty times your size! You are all that stand between me and the salvation this world deserves! You have to die!

Screaming my lungs at him, I charged towards him swinging my blade. He took a step back, dodging it. Perfect. It was just a feint. I reached out my left hand and grabbed him by the wrist, activating my unique skill.

"Steal." I whispered under my breathe

Wondering what skill he could possibly have, I maintained my stance. But something felt off about this and here was what was wrong.

The world's voice responded in repetition "Target is unaffected by Steal. Target is unaffected by Steal."

What could it mean? I had never faced such a predicament. No monster was immune to my skill before. How do I beat him? Can I take him down with the other skills I had stolen from my previous monster encounters? All these questions proceeded to flood my mind.

All of this never made sense, but there was one thing I was certain of. The skill I gained from the system. It gave me a chance to fight, it was all I needed to destroy all the obstacles in my path. This one skill. The [Steal] skill allowed me to steal the skills of monsters created from this phenomenon. I could only hold a maximum of ten. It could even be used on bosses, but would only copy their skills and not take them away completely. The skill could only be activated upon physical contact.

Given more time to think about this situation rationally, I might have deduced that he just wasn't a monster but in fact a human. However, in that moment my thoughts were running on a completely different track. With such a cheat skill of mine, surely there would be something out there strong enough to counter it. Thinking this was the system's way to balance out both sides.

I had to act fast. Keeping my grip on my target, I activated one of my stolen skills.

"Mist of Fear!" I cried out as yellow gas gushed out from my skin

It was like a sulfur yellow cloud covered us both. This mist was meant to paralyze anyone caught in its range, though would not affect the caster. This was a skill I stole from a timid reptilian monster that releases this gas when flustered or senses danger to paralyze its predator and flee. I chose to keep this to lock my enemy in place and attack them without resistance.

Again, his actions left me stumped. He was unaffected by the paralysis effect too. Following that, without loosening my hold on him, he pulled me towards him. Leaned his body in, feeling the sensation that his hand was on my lower chest. A force tugged at me and my view tumbled around, before I knew it, I was laying on the floor facing the ceiling.

He scoffed as he glanced at me looking like a fool.

"Can we talk now?" he awkwardly commented