Chapter 11

It had been hours since Kairo torpedoed ahead to the cabin while Roselle stayed behind with Edgar's body telling him that she would pay her respects before joining him. He stood there with the cabin in his sights. But the rage he initially came with had subsided. Prior to his return, he discovered something along the way. A discovery that forced him to rethink his actions before confronting the hunter.

Letting time fly by him, fate made the choice in his place. The front door opened and out came the man.

"Son, I have no business with you. Has your father never told you that if you look for trouble, trouble will come knocking? I'm in a pretty good mood right now, so by my good grace I'll let you go." The hunter teased as he walked down the steps of his porch slowly with his arms crossed

Somehow, the hunter looked the same as he did when Kairo and Roselle were first greeted at the beginning of their adventure. A frail old man. The difference was his prideful smile. The sense of accomplishment of hunting down the werewolf was practically beaming off him. It was as if he was an athlete who had trained for years and finally won first place in the Olympics.

"As you can tell, the tampered vampire blood I injected myself with before has worn off. Although my back no longer aches, knowing that I got that werewolf off my back. Hah!" The hunter continued

"You call yourself a hunter? When you could not even tell the difference between a monster and your own son?" Kairo impulsively spoke upon hearing the hunter's words

"My son? What are you talking about?"

"Edgar. That's his name, isn't it?" Kairo rhetorically questioned

"And what of it? He's been dead for years. I held my wife in my arms, while my son was dismembered all round my home by that beast!"

Reaching into his left jeans pocket, Kairo pulled out a photograph. As he presented the contents of the photo, confusion was written all over the old man's face.

Barely moments before his arrival here, Kairo was still thinking up ways to avenge his recently deceased bear killing pal. While his mind drifted, his feet were still on track. That was till sunlight shone into his eyes from something reflecting it amongst the grass patches.

"What's that? If it's an essay, I'm just gonna leave it there." Kairo chuckling as he walked towards it

Bending over, he reached down to pick up the object that caught his eye. It was a crumpled photograph. A printed photograph. Getting a closer look, Kairo's eyes widened. The contents of the photograph shook him. This new finding compelled Kairo to continue his initial trajectory with a different agenda in mind. Though, that did not take long as the cabin was already within visible range.

"Why do you have that?" the old man yelled out

"If just seeing this picture was shocking enough, wait till you see what's written behind."

Kairo then turned the picture to its back to let Edward get a good look. Having no clue what it meant, he sought that it held a certain impact towards the hunter instead. Thus, attempted to instigate this ploy to see his reaction. There was a note written in cursive on the back.

It read, "Dad, I'm sorry."

While all this was taking place, Roselle was in the midst of a different approach.

"If a human dies with vampire blood in their veins, they turn into half bred. So, should the same be applicable to a werewolf? I mean, he's dying but not dead yet. He lost some brain matter, but not everything is gone. This should be recoverable. Not to mention, his pulse is faint but I can hear it." Rose pondered on these thoughts as she sat next to Edgar, having Kairo only left minutes ago

She clenched her fist and with all her strength, she punctured her arm. Relieving the tension of her arm, blood gushed out of the newly made holes in her arm and let the blood flow into Edgar's mouth till her self-inflicted wound healed. Next, placing his head in her arms she snapped his neck to speed the results. For a human to turn into a vampire, there are two simple criterias. One, there must be vampire blood in your system. Two, die while it flows through your veins.

Laying the body on the ground once more, she waited to see the result. The effects of her meddling were almost instant. Edgar's body began twitching. His head tilted left, right and left again. Bubbly boiling noises could be heard, it was the brain matter growing itself back. Then, the sound of cracking bones followed after. It was coming from his neck, it was healing!

Once all the bullet holes and stab wounds sealed themselves, Edgar remained motionless. Gently, he opened his eyes.

kneeling next to Edgar, Roselle greeted him by saying "I've just performed one of the many Vampire taboos to keep you alive. This miracle may not last, so tell me. Do you wish to die here or enjoy this life for just a while longer?"

"What are you talking about?" Sitting up and scratching the back of his head, Edgar asked

"You let him kill you. As much as I fear monster hunters in any world, the wounds on your body tell me a different story about who was in power. You didn't fight to kill. Not when he came for your life nor back in the cabin. So tell me, who is he to you?"

Placing his forearm over his eyes, tears streamed down the sides of his face.

Sniffling, he responded "It's my dad."

Roselle fell back with her eyes widened.

"Get up now! Hurry, we must find Kairo." Roselle demanded as she threw Edgar's arm over her shoulder, knowing he was still slightly fatigued and assisted him as they walked in Kairo's direction