i - ophelia

chapter one,     ophelia

chapter one, ophelia

     OPHELIA HAS ALWAYS WONDERED if her father has ever beaten her mother up. Her mother has never spoken about him in an insulting way as she was an intelligent woman—she was a warrior in her own ways, demanding rights in the household even if she was supposed to be an obedient wife.

     Lily Salvatore wanted to do something, anything really apart from being a housewife. Her beliefs brought the unloving hand of her husband on her cheeks, ribs and elsewhere, but she hid them well.

     Ophelia always observed her mother, mimicing her. The way she sat, the way she held her chin up, the way she curved her lips into a forced smile—it was all taken from her mother. It didn't take her long to understand that her mother was abused by her father who took out his anger on her, only on her.

     It was understandable that when her mother died, Ophelia quickly overtook her mother's place, getting beaten up almost daily, the bruises on her body never properly healing. However, she carried her mother's courage inside of her until the end of her days, just her smile didn't appear as often as it should have, alerting the men that tried to court her. Something was utterly wrong with her.

     Ophelia trusted her mother blindly, drinking every word as holy water that has ever left her lips. Lily was her faith, taken away too soon. Soon, the young woman believed that she was capable of being strong, of shaping her own life, but she ended up in the bed of the river as the little rippling of the water oozed into her as a deadly lullaby she ought to avoid.

     "The world is yours, Ophelia. You are the only one who can change it."

The whisper of her mother made the woman's eyes flutter open as the breath got stuck inside of her throat. It was one of the times when you would become alert about your breathing and try to even it out. Except she wasn't supposed to be breathing.

It stung. Her whole body was as if frozen, as if mummified as she deeply inhaled some musty air into her lungs, revealing a familiar ache in her chest. Her body uncomfortably twitched as she coughed out a few drops of water out of her lungs, causing her dry throat to pulse intensely.

Her wide eyes seemed to be at the back of her head; her mind flooding with thoughts, endless questions that just clumped into huge nonsense and she didn't understand anything. The darkness that surrounded her, the pain in every muscle and bone, were known to her and it didn't scare her as much as it should have.

Her extremities twitched again, only this time hitting the hard surface that was surrounding her whole. Her mind suddenly grew silent - she was stuck inside of a box.

The woman's wounded heart, which was not working for the previous century and longer, started to beat fiercely in her chest. Fear, what a horrible friend... Her arms and legs, which were not fully provided with blood, started to strike the damned surface with every ounce of strength she had in her body. She was stuck, she was stuck, she was stuck...