ix - the tears of a fallen angel

chapter nine,     the tears of a fallen angel

            HER EYES WERE FILLED WITH ANGER, just as she used to look at her father and his friends gathered for one of their evenings where they would get drunk and start making inappropriate comments or start to touch her. They were filled with hatred for herself that she was just a weak woman who didn't have the power to do anything. The brown colour of her eyes was turning black, smeared with blood as the power within her stood still. Oh, how she wished to unleash it. How she wished to bring down everyone who did this to her...

            "If looks could kill..." Klaus teased her, walking around the apartment, gathering stuff.

            Ophelia couldn't wrap her mind around the fact that she was just a few minutes ago in that abandoned house and now she was here. She didn't have the time to process what had happened and that she had the power of creation because the hybrid wasn't intending to give her time.

            "I told you, you won't like it – so you can't call me a liar," he explained.

            She stood still in the same place where he placed her. Not a finger dared to twitch, not a hair dared to move. "I am not doing anything you need."

            That made him stop in his tracks and the bag he held was tossed on a counter in the kitchen. Now, his attention was on her. But even his clouded expression wasn't going to make her shiver in fear. She didn't understand many things and probably won't be able to, but she knew one thing well – he needed her alive.

            "If you won't cooperate nicely, I'm afraid the consequences will fall on your brothers," he took a step closer to the unmoving statue of a woman.

            "If you won't," she mimicked his way of speech, "cooperate nicely, I am afraid you will not have anyone to cooperate with."

            His eyebrows slightly raised – was she threatening him? The corner of his lips slightly curved up into a chuckle, "Oh, that's very brave of you... And what are you planning to do, love?"

            She knew he was stronger than her, faster than her and even smarter than her. But he was playing with someone who saw death. It was one thing she was not afraid of.

            The statue broke its stillness as she quickly moved the kitchen counter and grabbed a knife with a swift movement that made him come closer. She pushed the knife to her neck and held eye contact with him: "I was dead for over a hundred years – do not think for a second that I am afraid to go back there."

            For the first time, she saw genuine fear flash in his eyes. But the grip on the knife handle got stronger, the blade touching the vein, popping through her fragile skin.