x - what if the real world is just a dream?

chapter ten,     what if the real world is just a dream?

HER BODY FELT LIKE FIRE, CONSTANTLY. It was itching, burning—she wanted to rip the skin off herself. It was too hot, but at the same time, she was shivering. All of them knew the side effects of coming back to life. None of them knew what hers would be, since she wasn't a vampire. She was something.

            She'd wince in her sleep. Even the softest, silk sheets would not ease her pain. It would not bring her into the security of sleep, of well-deserved rest. She'd wail, tears staining her pillowcase. Her brothers would drop everything they had been doing and run to her. They wished to ease her pain, but they didn't know what to do. They didn't know how to help her.

            The Salvatore brothers tried to hold onto this month with hope. They had their sister back. Wasn't this everything they had wished for? Silently, all of these years. But instead, this first week of freedom turned into a melody of sorrows. They didn't know if all of these side effects were because she was a hybrid in her veins, or because she was brought back from death after more than a century.

            But she took the pain as best as she could. And she could handle a lot of it. Even if she would wake up with stained cheeks from her tears, even if she would put on clothes that made her skin burn as if she stood on fire. She found her only solace in water and the ointments her brothers had provided her.

            "I don't want to be the one saying this... But we need Elijah," Stefan started, sitting in the kitchen, watching his twin brew tea.

            "What?" Damon's voice raised instantly. "The last thing we need is an Original."

            "Look at her skin, Damon. She's in pain," Stefan looked at Ophelia and she froze in her spot.

            They were constantly fighting this week. Over her. They were helpless and it was driving them crazy. But she tried to keep as silent as she could even if she couldn't breathe properly from the constant pain. She didn't want them to worry. She tried to go on with her days as if the pain was manageable. But she didn't know how she wailed in the middle of the night.

            Ophelia looked at the glimpse of her exposed forearm which was completely red. It was almost as burned, the skin was peeling off, leaving burnt edges around the skin. She couldn't look at herself. The burn has spread all over her body—on the top of her head, at the nape of her neck, behind her ears and a huge burnt spot at the right side of her face. She felt hideous. But it was the least of her problems.

            Pushing the sleeve over her burnt skin, she hissed in pain and shook her head: "I am well. The ointments..."

            "Are not doing enough," Stefan finished the sentence. "It's the ointment Bonnie has made. We have nowhere to turn."