Chapter 3

After the call, Dream raced down the town in mach speed with his horse, Spirit. The mighty steed sprinted heavily through town, passing the restaurant owned by Fundy, the library Tubbo created, and the plaza where the street performer Karl Jacobs did his acts in. As seemingly fun and beautiful the town was, Dream was all too familiar with its criminal underbelly, and how he's seen the worst of humanity in a couple of alleyways.

Dream rode out of town to a lone road off to the side of the main road. He quickly glanced around, looking if anyone was following. Then, seemingly at random, him and the horse dove into a patch of large shrubs and landed into a tunnel. Knowing this route by heart, he navigated through the tunnels, knowing the maze-like structure was supposed to confuse nosy trespassers. 

Coming to the end of the tunnel, he leaped back into the sunlight, the light highlighting his dirty blonde, messy hair, which was usually hidden by his lime green hoodie and his hardened clay mask. There, he saw the elaborate, high-tech building that was the headquarters for Manhunt Enterprises. He tied Almost being a home away from home, he walked into the building having his guard being relatively lower than usual.

Dream walked through the shiny clear floors of the headquarters' hallways. The wiring that powered the building was visible behind the walls. In the distance, he could hear the droning of the generators that powered multiple sections of the building, and the white noise that was the overhead lights. The building was almost empty that day, only having the occasional hunter or so which stayed clear of Dream, his menacing precise carrying to the workplace.

 He walked into the main office, where the leaders of the enterprises sat, awaiting Dream's arrival. Sapnap was the first to spot Dream, and he did a formal, almost robotic, nod towards Dream. Badboyhalo waved at him kindly, and AntFrost just stood there, blank-faced, not having any nice words to say about him. As usually, Dream sat in the chair in the corner of the room, ignoring the extra one Bad always sets up for him. 

"So, what's the situation? Why was it so urgent?"

Antfrost spoke up first. "We've got a surprise offer, and no other of our hunters are available at the moment."

He nodded to Sapnap across the table, and Sapnap took a paper out of his portfolio.

"We've received an offer to protect a fellow by the name of... George. An unknown source has said that if we protect the young man for about six months we receive a large sum of money."

Then Sapnap gestured for Dream to come out of his corner. Reluctantly, Dream brought his chair close and listened as Sapnap leaned him to tell me something, almost like a dirty secret.

"After those six months are over, we plan to hold the guy hostage and ask for a ransom for his return. So we get the payment alongside the money for the ransom!" Sapnap smirked, as if he was a genius for coming up with the plan. Bad looked off, almost not wanting to be a part of this.

Dream should've been disgusted by this, taking advantage of someone like this, but he knew that in the world, the ones that are lowest are the ones that get the highest in power. 

"Look, guys, I do a lot for this company, I did every single one of your dirty work. I've killed several people, some of which were my frie- associates, but I draw the line at this. I'm not going to babysit someone in my already cramped apartment for six months."

"Oh," Antfrost said, with a small hint of spite and anger in his voice, "Are you suggesting you resign? Because you know what we do to those that resign, right?"

"Of course not." Dream realized he's gotten too assertive and would likely be killed on the spot if he didn't bring his tone down. "I'm just asking to not be given this assignment. I'm sure the others will be coming back from the missions anytime soon. Anyways, you know how I feel about being with people after what happened to my family."

Sapnap chuckled to himself, and Bad coughed rapidly, as if he were trying to stop himself from saying something more. Dream could tell something was wrong.

"It's funny that you speak of your family, Clay," Antfrost said, knowing that him calling Dream by his real name will put him on edge, "because... oh I shouldn't say."

"Say it!" Dream yelled, trying to keep his temper in check, "Tell me!"

Antfrost smirked, knowing he got Dream right where he wanted him. "Oh just the fact that, we know the murderers of your family."