A Proposal of Kinds

I heard the door to my room open and smiled, not bothering to open my eyes as Eric walked in.

"Walking on sunshine, mmm! And don't it feel good!" he hummed to himself, before flinging himself onto the bed next to me, wrapping his arms around me and kissing me on the back of the neck.

"Good morning Y/N!" he said cheerfully, and I smiled, rolling over and burrowing my face in his chest.

There were some mornings when he would come home and be happier than I had ever really seen him, certainly happier than he tended to be when we were dating. But it was strange, as I couldn't quite tell what made him so excited. It wasn't every night he went out with groupies that he came home so happy, and he swore he never slept with them, which I believed. It was just another part of the puzzle I couldn't quite figure out. 

"Good morning," I murmured with a smile, biting back a yawn. 

"Did you sleep well?" he asked eagerly, and I nodded, stretching. 

"Very! Not quite as well as I sleep when I'm asleep in your arms though," I said with a flirty wink.

He let out a sigh, wide smile getting smaller. "I know. I'm sorry. I just have other things to do sometimes. And it would look--" "Suspicious," I finished, kissing him on the nose. "I know. Where do you go though? Is it always groupies?" I asked innocently. 

A strange look passed through his eyes and he dropped his gaze to the bed. "Mainly. But sometimes I hang out with friends. So that they don't get suspicious either," he said slowly, almost as if he was making it up as he spoke. But his face went pink, a fond smile curving his lips, and I knew there was more to the story.

But what it was that I was missing I couldn't quite tell. 

Eric looked at me again, giving me a smile and a kiss. "But don't worry about what I do on other nights. Tonight I'm yours, only yours! Do you want to get dinner? And then maybe...maybe have some fun?" he asked flirtily, giving me a playful wink. 

My heart skipped and I nearly melted under his smirk. "I would love that. But dinner? We usually--"

"I know we usually don't get dinner so we're not seen together but I want to make tonight fun! I want to make it special," he said, kissing me.

"Special? Oh Eric you're not going to break--" I started, but he put a finger to my lips.

"Not yet. I'll tell you, I'll make it as easy on you as I can. I won't take you out to dinner and break your heart over dessert," he said, eyes growing sad.

I smiled, kissing his hand. "I trust you. But why dinner? And where? And well, how?" 

He grinned, wrapping his arms around me and holding me against his chest, kissing me on the forehead. 

"I want to take you out somewhere nice for once. And I have...I have a question to ask you tonight. I'll find a nice restaurant an hour or so away! That way there's less of a chance anyone will find us," he said cheerfully.

"A question? What is it?" I asked, but he shook his head, face going red.

"I'm sorry, I can't tell you yet. I'll ask you tonight." 

"Okay! I'm intrigued," I said, cuddling up with him. 

We laid in bed together for awhile before he sat up. 

"Oh, you haven't eaten yet! Do you want to get showered while I order breakfast for us?" he asked. 

"Do you want to shower with me?" I asked playfully, running my fingers along his shoulders. 

"I would love to," he purred, giving me a kiss and a playful nip at my lower lip before springing out of bed and pulling me after him.

He was energetic, practically bouncing on his toes, like he was when he came home some mornings. I frowned, trying to rack my brain and figure out what it was. It couldn't have been the groupies, because I knew in my heart he never slept with them. And it couldn't be his friends, as he always seemed so happy he was glowing, happier than just seeing his friends would make him. For the life of me though I couldn't figure it out. 

We stood in the small bathroom, making out as he stripped off my pajamas and I did my best to do the same with his clothes, water warming up behind us. After a very fun shower we reluctantly got dressed again. For most of the day we hung out in my hotel room, with me sitting on his lap as we talked and watched a movie together before heading to the next town over for dinner.

Dinner was wonderful, and I loved every minute of it. I finally felt like we were in a real relationship, that things were normal between us and there weren't the conditions of the relationship. After a perfect meal, we returned to my hotel room. Eric took a deep breath, holding my hands tightly with the question he had asked me still unspoken.

He kissed me, eyes nervous. "Y/N I...I need to ask you something," he asked shyly.

"Of course," I said. 

His hand moved from my hips to my stomach, resting there as he gave me another kiss.

"Y/N I want...I want to have a baby. With you. And I understand if you don't want to! I'll respect your wishes, I promise I won't try and get you pregnant unless you want that too," he said, face going red. "And Y/N, Y/N I need you to listen to me. The two stipulations still hold true. You still have to be a secret, and...and I'll still have to break your heart one day," he said.

I looked at him in confusion, mind racing. He said it wouldn't last forever, that was part of the deal of us being together. But a baby would make things pretty permanent, and he didn't seem to be the type to up and leave me to fend for myself as a single mother either, which meant maybe it would be years before he broke my heart. So, perhaps against my better judgement, I gave him a smile.

"I would love to," I murmured, kissing him gently. 

His face absolutely lit up, eyes sparkling, and he gave me a tight hug. "Oh, Y/N!" he cried, before taking a step back, giving me a smirk. "Shall we try to make one now?" he asked with a wink.

My heart leapt and I gestured to my bed. "I say we should give it a try."

Giggling, he scooped me up in his arms, tossing me on the bed and pouncing on top of me. Oh, I was going to enjoy this!