CHAPTER TEN

The Pontiac Bakery was buzzing when I walked in on Sunday morning. I had my own coffee machine but I wanted something sweet for breakfast and the bread and Vegemite I had at home wasn't going to cut it.

I waited in line, recognised a couple of faces, but didn't know their names and ordered a vanilla slice when it was my turn at the counter.

Kaitlyn smiled at me but looked a little stressed, "You okay?" I asked.

She nodded, "Yeah I'm fine. Thanks."

"Big night?" I asked, forgetting completely about her obvious date the night before until she looked suspicious.

"He came back yesterday. Frankee likes to start rumours. Watch out for her." She almost hissed.

I almost stepped back in shock but recovered quickly and nodded, "I understand. Have a good day okay?"

I turned to go and lingered longer than was probably necessary. Something didn't seem quite right and I wanted to ask her what it was, but I could see it wasn't a good time.

I considered getting back in line and buying something else just so I could talk to Kaitlyn but decided against it; I didn't know the history between her and Frankee and it seemed there was some bad blood.

I sighed as I got back into my car and thought about the situation. I felt like I was at school again and was being told who gossiped about who and who didn't.

I've never been interested in gossip. In school I made it very clear I wanted no part of it and although it lost me a few friends, the ones who stuck around were the good ones.

I drove along the esplanade and stopped near the pier where the boats come and go. What had started as a cold night had turned into a beautiful morning and the ocean was flatter than I'd seen it since I arrived.

I should have headed back to the cottage to get some more work done, but the weather was too nice. I hadn't received a response from Gerard and I wondered if I'd annoyed him.

I wanted to email him and ask, but knew that wasn't professional and decided I could wait.

I'd been meaning to write some articles about the many tourist attractions on the island - perhaps written from the point of view of the newcomer I was to both educate new visitors and perhaps flatter the locals just a little.

On my list had been a trip to the largest national park on the island and coincidentally, the same national park that houses the Cape Wilson Lighthouse; the one the hikers were heading towards when they disappeared.

I knew I shouldn't pursue it and should instead focus on current events, but I felt a pull towards the story that I just couldn't shake.

I told myself I was going to admire the lighthouse and my hike had nothing to do with the disappearances, but even I didn't believe that.

I ate my vanilla slice and was just about to head off when my phone rang. I jumped and was surprised to see it was a local number.

"Hello. Morgan speaking." I said as professionally as I could whilst brushing coconut off my shirt.

"Morgan? Hi. It's Tony here from Wild Winds Real Estate. Gerard asked me to give you a call about the old newspaper office. It seems he wants me to give you the keys."

I was surprised to hear the news, but quietly excited, "Okay great. I'm happy to pay for the use of it. Did Gerard mention anything about that?"

"Gerard actually owns the building; he was just going to rent it out because it's better than it just sitting there but he said he's happy for you to use it."