CHAPTER EIGHT

The smell of freshly picked flowers filled my nose and calmed me a little after my crazy morning. 

Pink roses, daisies and more filled the buckets in the entrance to Island Florist in Main Street.  After speaking with Lucas and Sergeant Quill, they'd assured me they would be keeping a close eye on things and offered to put me up in the hotel owned by Kaitlyn's aunty and uncle, but I'd declined.

The Sergeant seemed to think the break in and car were opportunistic crimes and the man claiming to be the owner had returned to get the car purely to cover his tracks and hadn't planned on running into me.  I felt a little better after my time spent at the police station, but was relieved with Lucas said I could yell out over the back fence and he would come and help me.

He told me he had a wife and six month old daughter but they wouldn't mind.  I told him I would only do so in an absolute emergency; I haven't had a lot of experience with babies but I know once they're asleep a person should only make noise and wake them if it really is a case of life or death.

It still felt better to know someone vaguely familiar was nearby.

I'd decided after my scare I needed something to make the cottage feel more like mine; even though I was renting.  I'd bought a take away coffee from a little cafe and then wandered into the florist to find something pretty and happy to brighten my kitchen table.

"Good morning."  The woman behind the counter said as I approached. 

She had curly brown hair that sat just above her shoulders, pale skin and kind eyes behind her large rimmed glasses.  She was short and quite pretty, especially surrounded by all the beautiful flowers.

She was around my age; perhaps a year or two older and I took an instant liking to her.

"Morning.  This is a beautiful shop."  I said.

She smiled even wider, "Thank you.  It's my dream job.  I've always wanted to own a florist and I opened this one about six months ago."

"Well it's a gorgeous little place."  I said as I looked at a large bunch of gerberas and wondered if I could ask her to make up a bouquet of all different colours.

"Thank you.  Are you visiting the island?"  She asked as she cut the stems off some sunflowers.

"No.  I've actually just moved here."  I said, surprised everyone didn't seem to know my life story.

"Oh really.  Welcome.  I've lived here for two years and love it.  It's such a relaxing place."  She said, looking genuinely happy.  "How have you found it so far?"

I took a deep breath, "It's complicated.  But I thought I might get some flowers to brighten my cottage up."

"Nice.  Where are you staying?"  She asked.

"Lilly Pilly Cottage."  I said, trying to sound enthusiastic even though I inwardly shuddered at the thought of the place.

"Ahh.  You're the journalist?" 

I was going to ask how she knew, but island life was clearly different than big city life and it was something I was going to have to get used to.

"Yep.  That's me."  I said, looking more closely at the gerberas. "Are you able to make these up into a big bunch?  And do you sell vases?"  I asked.

She nodded, "Of course.  I'll do something bright and cheerful for you.  Do you have a few minutes?  It won't take long."

I nodded and took a long sip of coffee, "Yeah that's fine, thanks."

She eyed the coffee cup, "You look like you really need that."

"Is it that obvious?"  I asked, wincing.