CHAPTER ONE

"Hi Love.  How can I help you?"  The lady at the bar smiled at me as I approached.

The pub was classically Australian with an old exterior, heavy wooden furniture and a dizzying pattern on the carpet.

It smelled of beer but was clean and surprisingly airy.  I noticed the doors out to the wrap around verandah were open and despite the slightly crazy weather, no one seemed to mind.  I welcomed the fresh air even though I shivered a little.

I'd recovered from my seasickness not long after getting off the ferry and had enjoyed the scenic drive from Night Bay to the main town of Ayrsea on the other side of the island.

It took about forty minutes to travel to the town, but the scenery made up for it.  I was amazed at the amount of greenery and the long roads that seemed to stretch on forever.

I smiled at the woman behind the bar; she was in her late fifties with grey hair pulled back in a ponytail, wrinkles around her eyes and a friendly expression.

"Er... Hi.   I'm meant to be meeting with Gerard McDougall?"  I said, trying to sound as professional as possible.

A look of realisation crossed her face, "Oh.  You're Morgan Winter?  You're not what I expected."  She said.

I smiled awkwardly and didn't know where to look.

"I hope that's not a bad thing."  I said, trying not to fidget.

I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror behind the bar and winced.  I'm average height, average weight and I guess average looking.  I've been told I'm pretty but I'm well aware I need to work on my confidence.

My long blonde hair was pulled back in a plait that had started to unravel and my green eyes were red rimmed.  I'd travelled from Sydney to Adelaide and then on to Wattle Cove for my trip over to Wild Winds Island and I was well and truly ready for a sleep - or coffee - or both.

The woman laughed, "Don't look so horrified.  You're just fine.  I was just under the impression Morgan Winter was an old balding man."  She laughed again and I smiled as politely as I could. 

She had kind eyes and a big personality and I liked her despite being uncertain how to take her at first.

"I'm Maggie.  Welcome to Wild Winds Island.  Did you just get off the ferry?"  She said, putting her hand out.

I shook it and smiled, "Well less than an hour ago, yes."

"I hear all your stuff has been put into Lilly Pilly Cottage.  Beautiful little place.  It used to be owned by a sea captain back in the day.  But then again, a lot of places around here were owned by sea captains and the like."  Maggie said as she nodded at an older man as he waved goodbye and left the building.

I wondered how she knew my things had arrived, but I decided not to question it and realised I had a lot to learn about a small town.  The movers had collected my things from Sydney a few days earlier and the additional items I'd bought online were shipped with them. 

I'd seen photos of the cottage and was assured by the owner of the newspaper that it was a beautiful old place I would fall in love with.  It looked quaint and sweet and the garden looked reasonably low maintenance which I was glad about.

"It's nice to meet you Maggie."  I said, smiling.

She looked at me thoughtfully for a moment then seemed to bring her mind back to the present, "So.  You said you're looking for Gerard McDougall?"

"Yes.  Is he here yet?"  I asked.

She shook her head and looked thoughtful, "No.  I haven't seen Gerard around here for a few days.  I thought he'd left for the mainland.  Or at least I assumed so.  Hang on a sec."