Twenty-Four

Spencer's POV
Blackmail

"Spencer James, you've had an amazing regular season so far. You recently tied the record for the most receptions by an UCLA freshman. You've also tied the NCAA record for most touchdowns in a game by a freshman today." The reporter says as we wrap up our homecoming game. "How does it feel to be having such a successful season thus far?"

"It feels great. Coming into the season, I wanted to be good for my team. And I look forward to the next game." I say nonchalantly.

"How do you feel about your quarterback's critical comments of you?"

I take a deep breath because I have no clue what she's talking about. Jordan and I are good now. Why would he say anything about me to the press?

"I don't know what you're talking about." I respond honestly.

"Trey Five said you're overrated and missed your blocking assignment on purpose to give your best friend Jordan Baker a shot at starting quarterback. Is that true?"

I take a big gulp as I think about Five's comments about me. I see the facial expression of the crowd go from homecoming game win-happy to utter confusion in a matter of seconds.

"I love all my teammates. I would never intentionally put any of them in harms way. That's my last question for the day." I say as I walk off into the lifeless locker room and see Trey Five standing there.

" I say as I walk off into the lifeless locker room and see Trey Five standing there

"Good game freshman!" He mouths and I push him.

"You dogging me to the press now?" I ask aggressively and he laughs.

"I just told them the truth. So what you gon' do? You and your boy Jordan going to jump me like you did Professor Laz in Atlanta?" He says and I look at him surprised. "Yeah, it's funny what somebody like me knows. I bet you didn't know that he's my cousin."

"What's your point?" I ask.

"I'm cleared to play next week. And I hear the coaches are thinking about sticking with Jordan Baker as the starting quarterback. But you know that can't happen, right?" He ask and I shrug.

"That ain't got shit to do with me."

"It does now, fool! Because if I'm not in the starting line up, next week, my cousin Laz will press charges on you and your bestie. And the All American, Spencer James, everyone loves, will be no more." He says boldly. "And the crazy part is, I didn't think my plan would work so quickly. I just hope Baker's twin is worth the trouble she put you boys in."

I get closer to him and he smirks as the locker room doors open and everyone starts to file inside the room.

Jordan runs up smiling. "We did it baby! Homecoming is lit."

But I don't take my eyes off of Trey Five the entire time.

"You good?" Darnell ask and I nod before tossing my helmet at the lockers and walking to the showers without saying a word.
__________

Less than an hour later, I walk out of the locker room and begin to sign autographs and take pictures before seeing Liv and Jayda standing there.

I smile because I'm happy to see the both of them for different reasons.

Jayda's been really withdrawn since her birthday disaster. I guess Darnell was right. Him asking her to the dance was a boost to her confidence that she deserved.

And Liv is just the opposite. She's been locked in with me since the night of Jayda's birthday dinner. And I've forgotten all about the bullshit I've been going through, the past couple of months, from Kia to Young Baby to Laz.

"What's up y'all?" I hug them both at the same time before Darnell walks up and does the same.

Jordan walks up seconds after him.

"Y'all trying to grab some food before the dance tonight?" He ask and I shake my head no before walking away.

Jordan knows I'm not going to the dance. But what he doesn't know is that Trey Five is pressuring me to take his position away,

"What's his problem?" I hear him mumble but I keep walking.

"Spencer!" Liv says as she catches up to me. "Are you okay?"

"I'm just tired." I admit.

"So we're not hanging out tonight?" She replies.

"I'll probably just crash!"

"Oh no, Im not spending my first college homecoming weekend in my dorm alone. And neither are you. We agreed we were hanging out." She says and I knew she wouldn't take no for an answer.

"I'm just tired." I repeat.

"What's wrong?" She stands in front of me and I sigh.

"Okay, we can hang. But I don't want to be on campus. All this homecoming press has drained me." I respond and she nods.

"I'm down for whatever." She says and I chuckle because I'm pretty sure she would go with me to the moon and back. And the craziest thing about it is that I'd do the same for her.

"I think I need a trip to the lake house." I admit.

"Uh oh!" She says sarcastically. "You only go there when something big's going on."

"You coming?" I ask.

"Oh for sure!" She says and I smile. "I just have to pack my bags."

We both part ways to go and pack.
__________

Hours later, we're at the cabin with junk food and a paid Netflix subscription.

I haven't mentioned my beef with Trey Five to Liv. I don't want her blaming herself for any of this.

Plus, the entire ride was filled with our terrible singing and old Beverly memories.

"Extra buttered popcorn or kettle corn?" Liv holds up two options as I flick through Netflix for a movie.

"Definitely extra butter." We both say at the same time and laugh.

She sits down and places the bowl of popcorn between us.

I take a deep breath as I look around the cabin and think about the few memories I have with my dad.

"Hey, whatever it is, we can talk about it or not  talk about it. You know I'm always here." Liv says and I smile before eating a few pieces of popcorn from the bowl.

"Let's just watch tv." I tell her and she nods in agreement.