jimi hendrix - woodstock

when i arrived at woodstock that day in 1969, i was terrified

when i arrived at woodstock that day in 1969, i was terrified. there were so many people. i thought i was going to have an anxiety attack. the stage was majestic, and even though i got there early, there were people littered all over the place. i had two outfits. a long yellow dress with sunflowers on it, some sandals, and a long white dress.

the second day, i lay on the grass, soaking up the sun as the groups played. i felt like i was in heaven. and somehow, i felt connected to all those around me, this put my slight anxiety at ease. we were frowned upon by past generations, by our parents. outcasts. but all we wanted to do was be creative, have fun and be at peace. i felt as if all our hearts were one, beating together to the tempo of the beautiful music playing.

at night was when we really got down. of course, everyone dug the music, but at night until the early hours of the morning, we danced. when joplin played, we all got down. she was rad. i adored her. such a beautiful, powerful soul; a force of nature. her voice rang out so powerfully she almost seemed majestic. i was smoking a joint i had just rolled, sharing it with the girl next to me, rita, who i had befriended. i needed to stick with someone, one, so i could have someone to go to if i needed help, and two, so i could possibly hitch a ride back home afterward.

i adored santana, a new group on the scene. as a young artist and musician, they inspired me. the who were also fun to watch, everyone dug them, me included.

but on the third and final day, the last group that played...
hendrix.
by that point i had squeezed myself to the front, white dress mud stained from the rain. i sat down on the grass next to rita, who was a newfound (and future lifelong) friend. i swayed and nodded my head to jimi's bitchin' guitar riffs and tilted my head up to see the sky.

i had a perfect spot. just close enough to be near the stage while also being on a bump of the hill so i could see everything. i could also be seen. halfway through purple haze i felt the magical magnetism of a pair of brown eyes making contact with my own. my mouth opened slightly, and while i was too stoned to freak out, i flashed my warmest, brightest smile to the beautiful man up on the stage, two which he responded with a subtle grin my direction.

the festival was over. rita and i had helped pick up all the litter that had been left all across the field. it hurt me to see people's blatant disregard for the beauty of our mother earth, but i digress. rita and i had also swapped phone numbers, and learned that we lived not so far away from each other in new york. but my muscles were sore, i was hot and i had heard there was a lake. so, i made a trek down to the lake, now completely empty despite how many people had been there days prior.

i found a little secluded area and i stripped down naked, grinning as i felt the sun on my skin. from a little patch of land i jumped into the lake, giggling as i returned to the surface. i hummed as i traced along my body with my fingers, running my hands through my hair.

"mind if i join you?" a voice that sounded like flowing water and honey spoke from the shore. i was naked, yes, but i honestly didn't mind. it was natural. i didn't mind if people cared, and i also didn't mind if people disliked that i didn't shave my body. it's natural; how we were made for a reason.

i turned around to face the stranger and gasped, then grinned at the presence of the rock star.

"i'd be honored, mister hendrix." i joked, turning away as he stripped down, purely because i was a bit nervous and a bit self conscious. when i heard the splash of water, then the stillness of it, i turned back around.
"you're... really beautiful." i said, my cloudy mind influencing my words. i quickly flushed in embarrassment.

"i could say the same thing about you miss..."

"y/n."

he nodded, repeating my name back to me. the way he said it made my heart swell with a euphoric feeling.

"can i kiss you, y/n?" he asked, to which i smiled, swimming out toward him and putting my hands on his shoulders.

"yes. yes you can." i replied.

he placed his hands around my waist as he placed his lips on mine. we moved in sync, almost like we had memorized this choreography of intimacy in lifetimes before.
we slowly made our way to the shore, keeping our eyes locked.

soon, we were a mess of tangled limbs draped over each other. i gazed up at him. he really was beautiful; angelic, almost. i traced patterns on his chest with my fingers as he held onto my waist. i found myself drifting to sleep, the sound of mother nature blowing the trees around us and jimi humming lulling me to sleep.

i awoke to a soft blanket draped over me and clothed jimi sitting beside me, gazing down at me.

"whatchu looking at, stud?" i teased him.

"you, doll." he replied, to which i sat up, pulling the blanket around my chest as i leaned up to place a kiss on his lips.

i felt like we had known each other in lifetimes before. there was no way we could have been so connected. he spoke to me through his eye contact and his touch.

"i have to head out soon, doll, but..." he pulled out a piece of paper with a number scrawled on it. "here's my number." i smiled as i traced his handwriting.

"i'll be in touch, then." i smiled, tilting my head so it rested on my shoulder.

"you'd better, or im gonna track your little ass down." he joked, and i let out a loud laugh.

jimi soon left after leaving me with a phone number, the blanket and a kiss. i inhaled the scent of the blanket. it smelt like him. warm and sweet.

i clothed myself and grouped up with rita, who asked me where the hell i'd been as we walked to the parking lot.

"i'll tell you on the car ride home."