Chapter 4

TAURIEL:

I could help but feel responsible for Thranduil's disappearance.

Actually, I'm certain that it was my fault. If I wouldn't have let Legolas bring me back to Mirkwood, none of this would have happened.

"Legolas, I'm sorry-"

"For what? You have no reason to apologize."

An extended moment of silence passes. "Legolas, why did you come after me? You knew the consequences." I question him.

He just shakes his head, then his eyes meet mine.

"I couldn't live with myself if I were to let you die knowing that I could have done something."

Those words gave me reassurance. I felt at home again. I felt happy. Legolas has been there for me since day one. He's been my leader, savior, and inspiration. He's all I need, and it's taken me many years to realize that simple conclusion.

I beam at him, but then that happy moment was gone.

A low growling sound came from the bushes. Legolas' eyes shift from me to the rustling bush, then his hand rests upon his bow. He loads it, then aims.

In one swift motion,man orc lunges himself out of the bushes at Legolas, but he was too slow. Before he could make an attack, an arrow was buried in his eye.

"Orcs."

I jump to my feet, then Legolas and I run. We don't have an idea of where to go, but all we know to do is run. Footsteps followed behind us, along with more deep sounding growls.

"Tauriel, the trees!" Legolas shouts, then he begins to climb one. I keep running forward, passing Legolas. There was a tree before me, a tall one with branches. Once I came into contact I dug my dagger into the trunk and lifted myself up.

I perched myself upon the first branch. The orc's tried their best to claw their way up the trunk of the tree, but their heave armor weighed them down. I pulled myself up a few more branches until I couldn't see the forest floor anymore, just the blue sky above me.

I couldn't see Legolas. The tree he had climbed was empty. No.

I climbed down low enough to the point where I could see the forest floor, then I noticed they were surrounding something- Legolas.

I jumped to the ground and pull out my bow.

Firing into the crowd, I was anxious that I was going to accidentally harm Legolas, or that it was too late for him. I pull out my daggers and sprint towards the crowd, drilling the sharp blades into their skulls.

I pull my dagger out of the last living orc, then turn my attention to Legolas who was laying on the ground. "Legolas!" His face was clawed, but he was alive.

"Tauriel?"

I broke into a smile.

"Are you hurt?" I question. He shakes his head and sits up, but changes his mind when he winces in pain. We were attacked already, so that means they're are most likely more mobs or orcs ahead of us. We need help.

Elion.

"Legolas, can you manage?"

"No," he mutters.

I wrap his arm around my shoulders and pull him to his feet, carrying him back to our camping site. We're loosing time, and as much as I hate to say it, Legolas is slowing us down. I need to find Elion.

After he was asleep, I get to my feet and walk into the woods. I hope to be back before he wakes, but I doubt It. Elion is the only bit of remaining hope I have left. If he turns me away, we're a lost cause.