《VI》

In the Gryffindor common, Liliana sat comfortably on one of the sofas whilst she was getting engrossed in a book she borrowed from library, whereas Ron together with Hermione engaged in a competitive game of chess beside her. To her surprise, Ron seemed to be gaining the upper hand, which was something that piqued her interest for a moment since she thought Hermione was able to defeat him in the game.

Minutes later, Liliana instinctively raised her head up the moment she had perceived the sound of someone entering and saw Harry rushing into the common room. However, as soon as she took notice of a look of distress etched upon his face, the jet black haired girl could feel her facial expression shift to one of concern in advance of the time she immediately shut her book and put it aside. Reaching out, she grasped Harry's hand and gave a gentle squeeze in hope to provide him with some comfort amidst his turmoil.

"Harry, are you alright?" Liliana asked in worry, capturing the attention of Ron and Hermione.

Their gazes were drawn to their intertwined hands that caused their eyes to narrow, a twinge of jealousy appearing in their hearts. The sight that was displayed right in front of them was something they were not entirely pleased with.

Ron diverted his gaze from the sight and feigned indifference before he focused his attention on the wizards' chessboard and attempted to ignore the situation. "Don't talk to me for a moment." He said. "I need to concentrate--" His voice trailed off as he caught a glimpse of Harry's face. "What's the matter with you? You look terrible."

Speaking quietly to ensure their conversation remained private, Harry proceeded to recount Professor Snape's sudden and ominous desire to become a Quidditch referee.

"Don't play." Hermione said at once.

"Say you're ill." Ron said.

"Pretend to break your leg." Hermione suggested.

"Really break your leg." Ron added as he thought about Harry actually injuring himself was a good idea.

"I can't." Harry responded with frustration in his voice. "There isn't a reserve Seeker. If I back out, Gryffindor won't be able to play at all."

At that moment, Neville toppled into the common room. How he had managed to climb through the portrait hole was anyone's guess because his legs had been stuck together with what they recognized at once as the Leg-Locker Curse. He must have had to bunny hop all the way up to Gryffindor tower.

Everyone fell over laughing, except Liliana, who instantly leapt up and performed the countercurse, making Neville's legs sprang apart. The boy trembled as he regained his footing. "What happened?" Liliana inquired with a frown, guiding Neville to sit with Harry and Ron.

"Malfoy." Neville said shakily, clutching the youngest student's fluffy warm blanket that she had been using -- much to certain trio's displeasure. "I met him outside the library. He said he'd been looking for someone to practice that on."

"Go to Professor McGonagall!" Hermione urged Neville. "Report him!"

Neville shook his head. "I don't want more trouble." He mumbled.

"You've got to stand up to him, Neville!" Ron said. "He's used to walking all over people, but that's no reason to lie down in front of him and make it easier."