11

It was of no surprise to Emma or Draco that Colton had asked for another glass of Firewhisky, and then another, and another, and it had come to a point where he had asked for the bottle to just be left on the table as they dined

It was of no surprise to Emma or Draco that Colton had asked for another glass of Firewhisky, and then another, and another, and it had come to a point where he had asked for the bottle to just be left on the table as they dined. Emma had since put Mia to bed, but felt obligated to return because leaving Draco alone with Colton was just cruel. 

Emma and Draco sat listening to and occasionally responding to stories or stupid things Colton said or asked, even when it got to the moment Colton's voice began to slur and drag on. 

Colton reached for the bottle again. Emma got to it first and pulled it towards herself. 

"Haven't you had enough?" she snapped, frowning at him when his eyes looked up but couldn't quite focus on her. 

"Well, no t-that's why I...was trying to have some more," Colton mumbled, his eyes drooping for a moment. 

"Draco doesn't need you using up all his drinks," Emma said to him. Now Colton met her eyes, and managed to focus. "You don't need anymore, Colton - the last thing we're having is a repeat of what happened at Daphne's wedding."

"Daph-- Daffodil?"

"It is getting late," Draco piped up. He lifted his arms up and rested his elbows against the table, the bottom half of his face hidden in his hands in thought. 

"Very well," Colton muttered, clearing his throat and beginning to stand. "I can take a hint. I'll get out of your hair and head to bed."

And then he pushed his empty seat in, and slowly wobbled towards the halfway, and then turned left. It made Emma happy that his bedroom was way at the end of the two way hallway, far, far away from hers. But, what had surprised Emma in this moment was Colton not leaving any remarks about her being left alone with Draco. But she knew that if she was dressed up or even looked the slightest bit nice, and perhaps didn't have a purple eye, he would have argued about leaving Emma alone with another man. 

There was an air of peace once Colton was gone. Even the silence was peaceful, no longer uncomfortable or awkward. Emma let out a long air of breath and looked to the right to try and figure out the air about Draco, or try and read his facial expression, try and figure out what he was thinking in this moment. Emma was embarrassed by Colton's excessive drinking tonight and his attitude when they had first arrived, and wanted to make an apology about it, but was surprised when she found that Draco was already looking at her, and Emma couldn't quite figure anything about him out. 

Emma opened her mouth to make that apology, but Draco beat her to it. 

"Care for another glass?" he asked, gesturing towards the bottle in between them. Emma got the hint that he'd wanted to talk with her, and she nodded. It would be her last glass of the night, not that it had to be. She had only had one glass with dinner, and this would be her second, the same as Draco. He began to pour the contents of the bottle in Emma's glass and then his own. "That eye of yours does look pretty nasty."