Kind of Like Lightning.

So... I recently read the book "Struck by Lightning" by Chris Colfer. I must say it was amazing and SO WELL WRITTEN. Carson Phillips makes the short list for my favorite book characters of all time.

THIS IS GOING TO SPOIL SOME STUFF. SO... YOU'VE BEEN WARNED.

I guess I was kind of expecting a happy ending for Carson. He's a whole lot like me, with a dedication to the written word and a strong refusal to "Drink the High School Kool-Aid," as he so aptly puts it. Getting into Northwestern is the dream for any literature junkie. But when I realized that things wouldn't be working out for him, I'll admit, I was a little teary. I didn't quite understand why his mother would throw away his acceptance letter like that. I didn't know what that would accomplish. He would have gotten his happy ending if he even held the letter in his hands, you know?

But then I realized, his mom didn't want her son to get into Northwestern and succeed like he was bound to. She didn't want him to graduate and apply to every magazine and newspaper he possibly could... Only to get shoved down. Even with the letter and the college experience at such a wonderful school, it would still be tough on Carson.

I also understand now how Carson was okay with spending two more years in Clover. I know now that he kind of hated it there, but he realized that it was still his home and he came to aplreciate what was around him. So what, he's spending another two years in Clover? He'll have even more experiences to relay to the rest of the world once he gets out.

The end of the last chapter left you with the feeling that anything could be accomplished. There were literally endless possibilities and opportunities for Carson and his future career. And then, you come across the news article.

STRUCK BY LIGHTNING. HOW IRONIC.

So, I guess he did get his happy ending. He was so thrilled and excited and HOPEFUL at the end of his final entry... You can't help but smile through the rest of the article, the acknowledgements, and all the crap at the end of the book that I actually bothered to read this time (because let's face it. It's Chris Colfer.)

"Life comes at you fast. It hits you and tries to escape and be expressed in any way possible. In a way, it's a lot like . . . LIGHTNING."