The Sargasso Sea

(y/n)'s pov

We have a test for biology next week, which counts as 50% of our grade. So (f/n) and I were in the library, studying for it.

"Hey," I heard a voice say in front of me. I didn't even need to know who it was. I just ignored it and went back to my book. "Are you disregarding me again?"

I didn't reply. I didn't have time to get distracted! (f/n) was cramming, her eyes scanning flashcards, way too busy to even hear the voice.

"(y/n)," Ray continued sitting in the chair next to me. "What are you reading?"

I felt him look over my shoulder, and I could feel his faint breath on my cheek. I resisted the urge to roll my eyes, as I proceeded to learn about the ocean.

The Sargasso Sea is located in the Atlantic Ocean, and it's known for, God, I can't focus since Ray's right next to me. Well, it's known for its abundance of seaweed, and for what animal again? If Ray is the reason I fail this quiz I swear I'll-

"Turtles live in the Sargasso Sea for a little bit right?" (f/n) said, looking up. Her eyes widened as Ray quickly sat back in his seat. "I didn't even notice you came here."

"It is," I answered, grateful that she spoke up at just the right time. "Now, Ray just what do you want now?"

He shrugged, as he spun his ballpoint pen with his fingers. "Nothing. But Mr. Minerva wanted me to tell you that it's closing hours."

I looked out the window, and it was already getting dark. I forgot the library closes early since it's winter hours. "Right. (f/n) let's go."

She glanced at the clock, as she closed her book. "Wait, I forgot about my flute lessons! Sorry, gotta blast."

She quickly packed her stuff in record speed before going out the corridor. If there was one thing you should know about (f/n), is that she hates being late. "See you tomorrow, (y/n)!"

"There she goes, again," Ray said, pushing back his chair. "Sure you'll get home safely?"

I straightened up before heading out the door. I waved. "I'll be fine. I know my way home, and if I'm in trouble, well, I know who to call."

He seemed to think about what I said before he said goodbye.

"Later," he said as we parted opposite ways outside. I started my walk home at 6 pm in the dark. By myself.

________________________________________________________________________________

Okay, so far, nothing seems bad. Just a bench here, and a streetlight there, the occasional stray cats, I'm fine. This is fine. This is okay.

I could hear sounds coming from any direction. It wasn't my first time walking in the dark, but (I never did it alone. People do this all the time. Casually taking a stroll, when the sun already set, I thought.

Just two more blocks. Just two more and I'll be home safely. This is fine, this is okay, this is fine, this is-

"(y/n)!" I heard an unfamiliar voice say. "Long time no see!"

"You grew last time I saw you," another said behind me. I stopped in my tracks, thinking of whether I should turn around.

"I'm sorry, but I think you got the wrong person," I muttered, without moving from where I stood. No way is this happening when I'm so close to my house!

"Don't tell me you've forgotten us," one of them said. "It's me, Roman, and Heinrey."

Oh. Those two. I've been so busy with other things that I didn't have the energy to remember them. Otherwise known as the only two people (f/n) ever hated with a passion.

And she's a very pleasant, sociable person.

The next time I see those jerks, I'll be ripping their faces into shreds, she said once when they terrorized our classmate.

I did despise them as well. Very much. If they were insects, I'd step on them and spray them with Raid in a heartbeat.

I stayed quiet. Now is not the time for this. I kept on walking when suddenly one of them grabbed my wrists and turned me around.

"You're a pretty face, aren't you (y/n)?" Roman asked, inspecting me close. Heinrey held my hands tight as I struggled against them. "It's a pity you and (f/n) went to another high school."

"Let go!" I hissed. They pushed me against a brick wall, in the middle of an alleyway. "Stop!"

"Didn't you have a crush on someone?" he asked, as I felt my hands go numb under Heinrey's grasp. "Who was it again?"

"Shut up!" I said as I tried pushing them off. "What do you want?!"

"You. I want you." He said as he laughed. "I couldn't believe you actually liked him. I didn't know you were that clueless. But now, I've got you cornered here like a little mouse."

He leaned forward, and I felt defenseless. I tried to move, but anything I did was take advantage of.

Please, someone help, I thought as I squeezed my eyes closed. Please...

.

.

.

"Hey! What the hell you think you're doing?!" I heard someone say, just in the nick of time. I felt my arms be released as the two guys instantly backed away, from, what a surprise, Ray. He came from the outside of the area between the buildings.

He quickly made eye contact with me, and his expression showed concern and worry.

"Ah, I see you've met my girlfriend," he said, smiling cheerfully, his emotions changing as well. He amiably walked toward me, took my free arm, and kissed it. Right in front of them. I looked at him like he was a maniac.

"Why? You look cute," he said, still holding my hand. "Who are these people by the way?"

"Some classmates from junior high," I mumbled softly. Ray nodded as we started traveling away from them

"I see," he replied. "Anyways, we should get going now. Goodnight!"

We carefully walked away from them and I saw as Ray's eyes were trained in front of us. "This is why I didn't want you walking alone at night, you know. Who knows what would've happened if I didn't come to find you?"

We were now out of earshot and were able to talk freely again. I took a deep breath.

"I didn't even know they were there to begin with!" I said as I crossed my right arm over me. I was grateful, though. "How'd you even know where I was going?"

"I was going home too," he explained, as he shoved his left hand in his pockets. "Not only is my house just on the other street, but I wouldn't let a girl like you walk by herself during the dark."

I smiled, but I didn't let him see. "Thank you. I appreciate it."

"No problem," he said as he let go of my hand. I unconsciously held it back and looked at me in surprise. "Hm?"

"I-It's warm," I said as a flimsy excuse. I refused to meet his eyes, but I was still terrified after what just happened.

"Oh yeah, I forgot you had cold hands," he teased as we walked to my house. Now the trip seemed even longer. He thought in silence like he had a question on his mind. "And what was that guy saying about that you liked someone?"

"In middle school, I liked this guy, and two months later, he said he liked me back. But I figured out he was a jerk in the meantime so I rejected him," I said, honestly. "I hate remembering and talking about it because it makes me feel like an idiot. Why?"

Ray ignored me and looked at the sky. He smiled as the stars shone on him. He turned to me, as we reached the porch of my house. The automatic lights turned on, illuminating the area.

"So he was your first love right?" he said, looking into my eyes. I nodded slowly, even though he was very wrong.

"Well, I intend to be your last."