The Burgundy Scarf

(y/n)'s pov

The three of us walked back to the campsite, and we were welcomed by Emma. My flimsy jacket had nothing against the weather. I now regret leaving my purple scarf in my bag when we went hiking because right before we walked up the trail, I stuffed it in my duffel bag along with my blue one.

"Hi, (y/n)!" Emma said waving at me. I made a small wave back. I sat on the log across her, my breath making wispy clouds. "Ray made hot chocolate, want some?"

I politely shook my head. "No, I'm fine, but thank you," I said, shifting in my spot. Lily held a foam cup of her own and she sipped loudly. Ray then proceeded to come out of a tent and sat next to me. I made a little space for him to sit. It was yet a little odd between us. I sat straight as he crossed his arms over his chest. He was wearing the scarf I made for him.

We didn't bother to greet each other and looked in opposite ways. The stillness was deafening.

Also, here's, some clarification, only 10% of me is actually feeling upset as we speak. I'm probably not going to forget the eighth-grade situation anytime soon, but I don't want it ruin our current relationship as close friends.

"What time is it?" (f/n) asked. Ray looked at his watch and responded.

"It's currently 5:30 pm," he replied as I looked at the clouds. I knew it was going to be chilly, but I didn't think this chilly. I tried huddling under my sweater but that didn't really help at all.

"So then the meteor shower should start soon," Norman said. I hope he doesn't get a fever because I remember Ray told me he has the worst immune system and is physically weak against sicknesses. "Since it's January and the days are getting shorter."

A few minutes of tranquility fell upon us. We just watched the relit, crackling fire in front of us. I could hear some crows squawk above us and the occasional animal calls from behind. The trees rustled with the slightest breeze of wind. I could see dandelion and forget-me-nots peek their heads from the rocks. It was peaceful and very calm.

Lily threw away her now-finished cup of hot cocoa in the trash bag.

"Well this is weird," (f/n) said out of the blue. The five of us looked at her, and she glanced at everyone. "What? This is really uncomfortable."

"No doubt," Norman added. He brought his hands to the fire. "It's freezing."

I tried to keep my shivering to a minimum. Please let us go to our tents so I can curl up inside my blankets and go to sleep, I thought inside my head.

There was a lake in front of us. After crossing a shore of rocks and pebbles, you could possibly dip your feet in there, but I don't know why you would want to, since it's probably 43 degrees right now. During the hot vacation days, the lake is full of jet-skis and boats, but since it's winter, the surface of the water was as smooth as a mirror.

When I was younger, my parents would bring Delilah, Lily, and me to this lake during the winter. We had a home in the upper mountains that I remember was full of magenta rugs. We would go skiing and sledding in the snow. We would bake Christmas cookies as a family and Delilah and I would hide in the living room to surprise Santa Claus. Both of us would have included Lily too but she was a baby at the time, and if we even tried waking her up, we would've been dead. I loved that cabin.

I was so lost gazing at the placid, serene body of water that I didn't hear Ray was talking to me. I quickly turned to him and tilted my head. I hummed in response because I didn't exactly quite know what he said. He was focused on a specific piece of clothing that he steadily detached from himself.

"Here, because you seemed cold," he answered without looking at me. He glanced the other way, only his left eye partially showing under his raven-colored hair. He offered me the burgundy scarf I made him on his birthday. "But don't expect me to give this to you permanently."

I slowly took it. "Thanks, Ray," I said as I wrapped it around my neck. At least we won't be ignoring each other forever now. "It was a present for your birthday, so I won't accept it even if you do try and give it to me for keeps."

He chuckled a little. I didn't know how much I missed this. Our little banter with each other, they were slowly easing in back into our lives. No more quiet conversations, no more awkward silence. Just me and Ray, and Ray and I.

We looked at the dirt and I kicked a tiny gray pebble. "Can I do something?" Ray asked, looking at me. I looked back. This was the first time in two days we actually made eye contact with each other.

"Like?" I asked curiously. He proceeded to gently remove the deep crimson scarf from me and adjusted one end around his neck, and the other around mine. "And this is what you had in mind," I said, trying not to laugh.

"So we'll always be together forever," he answered, grinning. "I promised your sister something I can't tell you at the moment, but this is the start of my fulfillment."

I smiled back. "Ray, you idiot."