The Council Window

(y/n)'s pov

-Flashback to sophomore year-

"Forget about television protagonists," (f/n) stated, as she finished her Latin homework. "You two are more romantically dense than anyone else on the face of the earth."

I groaned, and put my head in my arms. It's been a month since I received the haiku, and for some reason, I've been getting conflicting feelings about Ray. "God, this makes it all so difficult!"

"You don't need to solve everything, (y/n)," she answered. "Besides, what will you gain from figuring out what kind of person he is?"

"It won't hurt to be able to at least know his motivations," I admitted, looking up at her. She laughed and shook her head. "Is that so wrong?"

"Yes, yes it is," she said humorously. "How about you take a break, and let things simmer? You don't need to be a genius to figure that out."

"And just what are you implying?" I asked her, sitting up in my library chair. I already packed my things, so all I was doing was waiting for (f/n) to complete her assignments.

"Give him a chance. Not all things result in the way you think they will," she replied. "You can't predict the future, so who knows how it'll end?"

-The present-

(f/n) was right. I don't and will never know how it'll end. But not learning makes the whole situation more complicated than before.

Although now, having relationships besides being rivals seemed possible. Even attainable.

"What am I to you?" he asked carefully. The sun was already setting, so we needed to get back. My sister is probably wondering where I am right now.

I thought about what I should say. "You're my friend. What else would you be?"

He looked back and came back to the bookshelf. He seemed to be studying me. I kept my face as still as a stone in a zen garden. "Why?" I questioned.

"Because you don't act like we are sometimes," he mumbled, staring straight into my eyes. I replied calmly, knowing that I can end this discussion here and now.

"Oh really? How so?" I inquired. I walked to the side of the window, where he was originally standing. "If you mean like friendly competition, then I understand what you mean."

I looked out the glass panes, and onto the streets. The council room was located on the second floor of the main school building, where the teachers' lounge was located. Classes were held in the West Building, which was a separate structure.

I saw cars drive by, and I wondered when my parents would be coming home. I spent almost all of January without them and had to provide for Lily myself.

Our parents went on business trips quite often, for weeks at a time. So Delilah and I took care of her when they were away. But even when they came back, they got so busy managing the company that Lily learned to take care of herself. Sometimes, I feel sorry for her, since my little sister didn't have a childhood to call her own.

"I don't mean like opponents or anything," Ray responded. How long did my mind wander again? "I meant actually the opposite."

"To which you're saying?" I prompted, glancing back at him. We really should head back.

"Look, I know we have a silent agreement to never bring this up," he started. No, stop talking. I don't need this to happen now. My life is already way too busy for this to stress over too!

"But there were times where we conversed differently from what we're like in a classroom," he explained quietly. He couldn't meet my eyes. "I don't think I need to elaborate on what I'm alluding to. You should know."