Chapter 5 : Elrond's Concil

From the south-east of Middle-earth, from the white city of Minas Tirith, came Boromir, son of Denethor, steward of Gondor.
The envoy of the men of Gondor looked a little arrogant.

The other representative of the men was that of the Dúnedain, Aragorn.

From Erebor, the lonely mountain taken over by Thorin-Ecu-De-Chêne sixty years earlier, came Gloín, Thorin's former companion, and his son, Gimli.

Bilbo and Frodo Sacquet represented the County, a peaceful land of Hobbits.

From Imladris, the chosen representatives were Lord Elrond, Glorfindel and Lady Elenwë.

Galdor the Elf of Mithlond, the grey harbours in the west of Middle-earth.

From the Black Forest in the north-east came Legolas Vertefeuille, the only son of Thranduil, king of this domain.

Finally, Mithrandir -Gandalf as the others called him- represented his order of magicians.

In the year 3018 of the Third Age of Middle-earth, the Council made up of all these representatives met in Imladris, home of Lord Elrond.

Elrond, as lord of the place, stood up and began to speak.

-My friends, welcome to Imladris. We are gathered here because we know that there are dark times ahead.

Elrond told them the story of Sauron's Ring of Power. They all knew that Bilbo had taken it from Gollum, and that it had fallen to Frodo when his uncle had left the Shire. Gandalf intervened to tell how Saruman the White, superior of his order, had sequestered him and how he had betrayed them, turning to Mordor, to Sauron.

-Frodo, show them the Ring.

The Half-Man approached the stone base and placed a solid gold ring with a smooth surface on it.

Immediately, the air became tense. As Boromir looked at the Ring with undisguised lust, Frodo felt Bilbo eagerly fidgeting by his side.

The old hobbit stood up and declaimed: All that is gold does not shine, All those who wander are not lost The old who is strong does not wither away. The deep roots are not affected by frost.

Out of the ashes a fire will awaken. From the shadows, a light will spring forth, Renewed will be the sword that was broken, The uncrowned will be king again.

A respectful silence followed this statement. Elrond took the floor again:

-We must at all costs prevent Sauron from getting his Ring back. That is the purpose of this Council. We have to make a decision.

At that moment Glorfindel said:

-Well, now... Either we hide it, or we destroy it.

- There are only two solutions, as Glorfindel once said: hide the Ring forever; or destroy it.

-But both are beyond our reach. Who will solve this riddle for us? Gimli asked.

-No one here can, says Elrond gravely. At least no one can predict what will happen if we take this or that road. But it seems clear to me now which one we should take. The road to the West seems the easiest. So we must avoid it. It will be watched. The Elves have too often fled that way. Now, in this final circumstance, we must take a hard road, an unexpected road. There lies our hope, if any. To engage in peril - to go to Mordor. We must send the Ring into the Fire.

-But... at last! We could use the power of the Ring! Boromir interrupted. My father, the steward of Gondor, could find a use for it...

-But the Ring is of no use, Boromir said. Aragorn cut it off. It has a will of its own, and it calls out tirelessly to its master.

-I don't care about the reasoning of a prowler! Whistled Boromir.

-You don't know who you are talking to! This time it was Legolas who stood up and spoke to Boromir, scorning him with his eyes.

-It was Lord Aragorn, son of Arathorn, descendant of Isildur, legitimate heir of Gondor.

Boromir looked up at Aragorn.

-Gondor does not need a king!

Elenwë felt sorry for Aragorn. She definitely did not love this man of Gondor. As she was thinking, the conversations became lively and soon everyone stood up and spoke loudly to try to make their point. She heard Gimli say loud and clear that the Elves were not trustworthy and she was about to give a heartfelt answer to this troublesome dwarf, but her eyes fell on Frodo.

The Hobbit seemed to be fighting the panic that was overwhelming him. Suddenly Elenwë saw him stand up and say:

-I'll do it! I'll do it!

But no one else had heard it but her. Frodo spoke louder.

-I WILL DO IT!

Everyone stopped talking and looked at Frodo.

-Although... I don't know the way.

Immediately Aragorn approached the Hobbit and knelt down before him.

-I am Aragorn, son of Arathorn; and if by life or death I can save you, I will.

-I will go with you, Frodo. Gandalf stood behind the Hobbit and sighed.

-And so did I. Prince Legolas also approached him and said:

-My bow is yours, my friend.

Gimli intervened almost immediately.

-And my axe!

At that moment a figure appeared from behind a column. Sam Gamegie stood between Elrond and the group.

-Mr. Frodo isn't going anywhere without me.

-No, indeed! said Elrond, turning to him with a smile. At least you will go with him. It is hardly possible to separate yourself from him, even when he is summoned to a Secret Council and you are not!

A few discreet laughter was heard, but it was interrupted when two other people came up to Frodo's side.

-Of course that's what I meant, Pippin added, looking at Frodo. We Hobbits should stand together, and that's what we'll do. I'll go with you, unless I'm chained up. There must be intelligence in the group.

-In that case, it is certainly not you who will be chosen, Peregrin Took! says Gandalf.

Laughter resumed. She had to go. She couldn't explain how, but she knew. Elenwë felt her heart pinch. Her father would blame her. So slowly Elenwë got up and walked towards the group already formed.

-I'm coming with you. she said in an assured voice.

-That is to say, my Lady, that you should not.

"Oh Lord! I am going to strangle this man!" she thought.

-And why, Boromir? She forced herself to answer in a polite tone.

-You are a woman, and women have no business in such a quest.

-Enough is enough! Boromir of Gondor. My daughter is quite up to the task. Elenwë looked at her father. He was obviously disappointedbut he let her make her choice.

-But... he continued.

-Did you not hear what Lord Elrond said? Lady Elenwë will come with us.

Looking at him, Elenwë was nevertheless surprised to read in the eyes of the Dúnedain a voice of disapproval. Elenwë looked at the other faces. The hobbits looked delighted, Gandalf worried, Boromir quite hostile, Gimli scornful. Only the face of the wood elf looked serene. He looked at her with his blue eyes, neither repelling nor encouraging her.

Elrond announced that the group was now final and declared the Council over.
They all went to the room where a banquet had been prepared.