Chapter 24 : Farewell to Lorién

A few more days passed and the Community remained in Caras Galadhon. Little by little, their hearts filled with sadness calmed down and the last three days of their stay were more joyful than any of the previous ones.

The day before departure finally arrived.

The Lord and the Lady spoke to them.

-Tomorrow, my friends, you will return to the darkness. Unless some of you have chosen to return home.

-All of you have chosen to go on. Said Galadriel.

-I may not make it to Mordor, but my destination is on the road. Perhaps the Community will go through Minas Tirith? Says Boromir

They left the room and Aragorn took the floor.

-The Community will not go through Minas Tirith.

-How quick you were to trust the elves! Can it not be the same for Men? Pride and greed may be easier on us, but our race has kept its dignity and honour in spite of everything. Dare to pretend otherwise, Aragorn, son of Aratorn, descendant of Isildur, son and rightful heir of Gondor, kingdom of Men!

-I will not denigrate my own race, but perhaps not because of discord. Let us wait until we are at the Anduin Falls to decide. Maybe even the Community will be dissolved.

Frodo raised his head.

-Come on, my friends, let's not quarrel like that. As Aragorn said, we will still have the opportunity to decide later.

Elenwë felt tiredness invade him.

-We should go and rest while we still can...

-Your words are wise, Elenwë. Legolas and Gimli replied with a heart.

They looked at each other, astonished and smiled.

During his long days, the two friends - for that was what they were now - were seen, visiting the beautiful Lorién side by side and talking with each other about a thousand different subjects.

An elf and a dwarf. Destiny is sometimes playful, Elenwë thought. Who would have thought that these two would get on well together?

Elenwë wished the community a good rest before going back to their flats.

The next day, the day of departure, Elenwë got up, sensing a bad feeling in her. She sat down in front of the mirror in the room and started to comb her hair. She untangled her hair and stroked her white locks with her fingers. She was really struggling to get used to changing her hair. Haldir, Galadriel and Celeborn had asked her why she was having trouble changing her hair. As they braided her hair she sighed.

Elenwë stood up. She put on comfortable black trousers and a long light grey tunic. The tunic reached above her mid-thigh and was slit at the front to make it easier for her to move around. Elenwë tightened her coarse leather belt around her waist and put Ant Estel back in her sheath. Lightweight black leather boots reached up to mid-calf and she slipped two tiny daggers into them. As dressed as she was, she went downstairs to join her companions, not without taking a last look at Caras Galadhon.

-Namarië... she could not help whispering.

Surprised, she noticed that Aragorn also seemed melancholic.

-Aragorn? Are you all right?

-I feel that I will not be back for a long time. At this hard thought, my heart tightens.

-Come, let us go forward, brother. Let us think that if we do not act, this place will be no more.

Haldir led them to the banks of the Anduin.

Elves arrived with packets of food and clothing.

Among the food were flat, white patties. Gimli looked suspicious, took one and whispered:

-From the tram...

He was unconvinced, but took a bite out of the cake and immediately looked surprised before swallowing the whole thing.

The elves laughed.

-Enough, enough! they say, laughing. You've already eaten enough for a long day's walk.

-I thought it was just a kind of tram, like the men from the Val do on their journeys through the desert," says the Dwarf.

-That's right, they answered. But we call it lembas or road bread, and it's more fortifying than any food made by Men, and it's more pleasant than the tram, in every way.

-Of course it is, says Gimli. It's even better than the honey cakes of the Béornides, and that's great praise, because the Béornides are the best bakers I know, but they don't distribute very readily.

their cakes to travellers nowadays. You are very considerate hosts!

-We invite you no less to spare food, they say. Eat little at a time, and only as much as you need. For these things are given to you to serve when all else fails. The cakes will keep their freshness for many days, if they are not broken and left in their leaf wrappers, as we brought them. Only one can keep a traveller on his feet for a whole day of hard work, even if he is one of the great Men of Minas Tirith.

They then handed each of them a light, warm and cool cape, changing colour regularly, depending on the environment. They had a bonnet and the sides were joined together by a brooch representing a green leaf veined with silver.

-You are certainly in the Lady's favour! For it was she and her followers who wove this cloth, and never before have we dressed strangers in the costume of our own. said Haldir to them.

Three light Elvish boats were waiting for them on the shore.

They decided to split into three groups.

Aragorn, Frodo and Sam.

Merry, Pippin and Legolas

And finally Elenwë, Boromir and Gimli.

They greeted the elves of Lorién and Haldir took Elenwë in his arms.

-Calo anor na ven, Elenwë (May the sun shine on your way, Elenwë )

Then he turned to the whole Company and said:

-No galu govad gen. (May good luck accompany you)

-Namarië, Haldir, mellonamin. (Goodbye, Haldir, my friend.)

They got into the boats and left the shore.

A few minutes' sailing from there, a huge sumptuous boat was waiting for them.

They all landed, and the Lady said:

-We have come for the final farewell.