Chapter 8 : Caradhras

That morning they lit a fire in a deep hollow, veiled by tall holly bushes, and their breakfast/dinner was more cheerful than it had ever been since they had left.The hobbits were humming. Elenwë chatted happily with Legolas and Gimli.

Even Aragorn sang a song. With his deep, deep voice he told the story of Tinuviel.

Tinúviel elvanuiTinúviel the beautiful ElfElleth alfirin edhelhaelImmortal maiden of elven wisdomO hon ring finnil fuinuiOn him, she spread her shady hairA renc gelebrin thiliol...And embraced him with his arms like shimmering silver...

They did not hurry to bed afterwards, expecting to have all night to sleep, for they had no intention of leaving before the next evening. Only Aragorn had become silent and worried again.After a while he left the Company and went towards the ridge, there, standing in the shade of a tree, he inspected the south and the west, with his ears outstretched. Then he came back and looked over at the others who were chatting and laughing.

-What's the matter, Strider? Merry shouted at him. What are you looking for? Could it be the east wind that you are missing?

-No, of course not," he replied. But I am missing something... I have already come to the country of Houssaye in many seasons.

No people live here any more, but many other creatures live here at all times, especially birds. Yet silence reigns everywhere, except in your own home. I can feel it. There isn't a sound for miles around, and your voices seem to resonate with the ground. I don't understand it.

Gandalf raised his head with sudden interest.

-But to what do you attribute this? he asked. Is there anything else in it than the surprise of seeing four Hobbits, not counting the rest of us, in places where people are rarely seen or heard?

-I hope so," Aragorn replied. But I have a sense of watchfulness on the lookout that I've never had here before.

-Then we have to be more careful," said Gandalf. When you take a Ranger with you, it is good to pay attention to him, especially when that Ranger is Aragorn. We must speak less loudly, rest quietly and keep watch.

It was Sam's turn that day to take the first guard, but Aragorn joined him.The others fell asleep. Then the silence grew so deep that even Sam felt it. You could clearly hear the sleepers' breathing. The pony's tail banging and the occasional trampling became loud noises.

Sam could hear the cracking of his own joints when he made a movement. A deadly silence reigned around him, and above it all stretched a clear blue sky as the sun rose in the east.

Legolas and Elenwë had got up and were talking peacefully.In the distance in the south a black spot appeared, which grew and pushed northwards like smoke driven by the wind.

-What's that, Grands-Pas? It doesn't look like a cloud, Sam whispered to Aragorn.Aragorn didn't answer, he looked up at the sky, but Sam soon saw for himself what was happening.

A flock of birds was approaching: a flock of birds was rapidly advancing and circling over the whole country as if in search of something, and it was coming quickly upon them.