Chapter 1: Old Friends

Midoriya jolted up out of bed, panting, he frantically looked around his room before realizing that he was safe. He sighed as he slumped back over into bed, his heart still pounding in his chest from the nightmare. The third one this week, he was starting to worry because they were becoming more frequent again. As he laid in bed the fading nightmare became nothing more than an old memory.

Rolling out of bed he grabbed his phone and shuffled towards the bathroom to get ready for the day. After showering he stood in front of the the mirror and tried to tame his loose curls, " when the hell did my hair get so dark" he mumbled to himself. As Midoriya got older the green slowly darkened, although he was digging his new look, he missed the brighter green that matched his emerald eyes.

As he sat on the couch scrolling mindlessly through his feed, he thought about the nightmare that had jolted him from his sleep. The fight with Shigaraki that put him in the coma when he was just a freshman, was once again fresh in his mind. Although that was almost 10 years ago now, it still somehow manages to make its way back into his nightmares. He thought about all the movements and decisions that could've helped him win the fight at that moment in time. What he could've done differently to protect his friends.

A text notification snaps Midoriya back to reality.

A few hours later, Midoriya made his way down to the station to wait for Uraraka, stepping into Starbucks he ordered a drink and sat down

A few hours later, Midoriya made his way down to the station to wait for Uraraka, stepping into Starbucks he ordered a drink and sat down. He was a half hour early, but he didn't want to risk Uraraka arriving in a city alone that she wasn't too familiar with. He chose a seat next to the window to watch for his friend while getting a little privacy from the crowded café. Midoriya anxiously looked at the time on his watch and puts his face mask back on.

"Hey Midoriya!" Uraraka basically skipped up next to him. It actually startled him a bit, he didn't know how she got past the window without him seeing her.

He stood up quickly to embrace her in a hug, "Hey Uraraka! I'm glad you made it safely" he smiled under his mask.

"Are you ok Midoriya?" Gesturing towards her own face meaning his mask.

"Oh yeah, I wear it when I'm off duty so I don't get recognized, I'm not sick" he said meekly rubbing the back of his neck.

Uraraka smiled, 'he's still the same' she thought to herself. "Let's go get lunch huh?"

Midoriya nodded, "Yeah let's go!"

They walked together down the busy street chatting and looking for a place to eat. They eventually settled for a ramen shop that wasn't too busy so they could hear each other talk. After ordering their food the pair sat at a booth in the corner of the restaurant to get a little more privacy while they chatted and ate.

"Sooooo Midoriya, when are you going to come back to Shizuoka Prefecture and visit the squad again? It's been almost 7 years now. Everyone would love to see you again, you know?"

"Yeah it would be nice to see everyone again" Midoriya trailed the sentence off without really knowing how to finish it. "But I left without saying goodbye to anyone, wouldn't it be weird if I just showed up 7 years later without explanation?"

"Yeah it would be weird but they're still your friends, they still care about you Midoriya, trust me. Besiiiiiides it's Todoroki's birthday next weekend and what a perfect cover for you to come back and visit!"

Midoriya could see that Uraraka was trying her hardest to get him to visit everyone again, but his stomach and heart weighed heavy at the thought that he might have to see Kacchan again after all these years. But it would be an easy excuse to visit the town he knew and loved. Besides he could visit his mom again too, killing two birds with one stone right?

Midoriya sighed, "Alright, you win. I'll come next weekend. But maybe don't tell anyone? I kinda want it to be a surprise."

Uraraka squealed with delight, "It's going to be so much fun! I promise! I'll tell them I'm bringing a friend! They'll be so surprised when they see you!" Midoriya chuckled at his friend getting so excited. This will for sure be interesting.

"So Midoriya" Uraraka said suddenly changing the mood, "Have you spoken to Bakugou since you've moved here?"

Midoriya's stomach dropped, he had hoped she wouldn't bring it up, "U-Uh no, I haven't." He spoke softly. "You know he doesn't like me. I thought things were getting better between us but he said some nasty things to me right before graduation and uh, what he said made it clear to me that he could never try to be my friend.

"After he said those things to me, I immediately decided that moving would be my only option for living a decent life without having to constantly be watching over my shoulder you know?" He pushed some food around on his plate not making eye contact while he spoke so she couldn't see the pain in his eyes.

Uraraka lifted her hand over the table to place it on his, "Yeah I get it. But maybe after some time apart you could give it another try?" She said hopefully trying to brighten the mood a little. Midoriya looked up into her eyes and smiled slightly, "Yeah, maybe. Thanks Uraraka."

"No problem Deku! You know I've always got your back!" She said affirmably as she winked at him. She always knew how to make him feel better.