Chapter 9

The tree looked the same as it always did. The branches hung low around the front creating a shade that stretched to the memorial bench. Wildflowers grew close to the trunk of the tree and the grass around was evenly cut.

Sammy walked next to me, staring at the memorial bench. I greeted Daniel, the same way I always do. I patted the bench and gave a wave. Sammy looked at me as if I had lost my mind.

"Did you just wave at a memorial bench?" He signed, looking at me as if I had grown a second head.

"It feels weird if I don't." I signed back as I pulled Sammy away from the bench and under the tree.

As I sat down, I looked over at the bench. It was the first time I wondered about the story behind it. Who was Daniel? What was his story?

Dad had clearly got into my head.

As I stared at the bench, I caught sight of a bouquet of flowers placed at the bottom of the right front leg. It was a beautiful bunch of flowers. The white flowers lay carefully wrapped, and I was drawn to the little note place neatly within them.

'Think of You' was written on the front of the card with a picture of two teddy bears hugging. I was curious as to see what it said, but I knew it would be wrong to look. It wasn't intended for prying eyes. Instead, I tapped Sammy on the shoulder and pointed to the flowers.

"I'm guessing it's for... Daniel?" He said reading the name off the bench. "They look quite fresh. Has there been flowers here before?"

Every time I had been at the tree, I hadn't seen anyone even come near the bench, let alone lay flowers.

I shook my head. Sammy stood back up and made his way over to the bench. I tried to grab him before to tell him that we shouldn't read it., but he was too quick.

Twisting in weird ways so as not to touch the flowers, Sammy read out what the not said.

"For my brother. These flowers reminded me of the ones you used to send me when you were away. In white flowers, I see you. Love you always and forever, H."

Leftover raindrops glistened on the petals; the way the sun reflected made it look like the flowers were sparkling. It gave the flowers an angelic feel to them. Almost as if Daniel was looking g down on them and smiling.

We sat in comfortable silence for a while. Sammy was on his phone whilst I struggled to even keep my book open. My mind couldn't stop thinking about 'H'. Who were they? What happened to Daniel? They must have been close? Where did he go away to?

I was pulled out of my trance when Sammy tapped me on the shoulder. I turned to look at him.

"I've got to go and meet a friend. I'll see back at home?" He signed, pulling himself off the ground.

"Okay." I signed, although I was suspicious of where he was going.

Sammy smiled before giving me a small wave and walking away.

I watched him leave, my book open in my hands. Who was he meeting? And why didn't he tell me? Again?

Seeing him round the corner, I quickly shut my book, grabbed my bag and ran to keep up with him.

I was following him. I know he deserved his own privacy. But this was the only way I would know where he was going. He, clearly, wasn't going to tell me.

I followed him down the streets and managed to keep a sensible distance so as not to alert Sammy that I was following him. I had to hide behind a mailman at one point because Sammy almost caught me.

Suddenly he stopped walking. He looked around to see if anybody was watching, and walked into the shop he was standing outside of.

What was he doing?