Chapter 8

My book swung in my hand as I started my walk back home. It had begun to get dark pretty quickly, so I, begrudgingly, marked my place and started the walk back home. I couldn't stop thinking about the boy with the football.

I had watched them play for a bit, mostly I just watched Lucas. He weaved effortlessly through his other friends as they played. He caught me watching him a couple of times and I quickly tried to disguise it by holding my book in front of my face. I don't think it worked.

He scored two or three touchdowns throughout the game, much to the disappointment of his friends. I watched him as he happy danced. He placed his arms above his head, pumping his elbows as he shuffled his feet across the ground. It was a weird movement, clearly dancing was not his strong suit.

I was laughing from the memory as I walked through the front door.

"What are you laughing and smiling about?" Sammy signed, walking past to go into the living room. A smile played on his lips as he signed.

He was no longer sporting the sunglasses look. He was dressed, quite smartly at that. As he walked into the living room to pick up his jacket, I realised he had shoes on.

"Nothing. Where are you going?" I signed, curiosity getting the better of me.

"Nowhere important. Just to meet up with a friend." He signed, putting on his jacket and picking up his keys. He shouted something in the motion of the kitchen but I couldn't make out what it was, before giving my shoulder a squeeze and walking out the front door.

I watched him through the window as he unlocked his car, started it up and drove off.

He took the car. He never takes the car to meet with a friend. Who was he meeting? And why didn't I know?

With that my nun walked around the corner and waved to get my attention. Turning to look at her, I could see the remnants of tonight's dinner splashed on her clothes. Specks of tomato sauce clung to her top as she frantically dabbed with a kitchen towel.

"Riley, I could use your help in the kitchen? Please? The sauce exploded and I think your father's burnt the pasta!" She signed quickly as she walked past to go get changed.

I chuckled to myself as I walked into the kitchen. The kitchen looked like a bombshell had hit. The smell of burnt food flooded my nose as I made my way through the chaos. My father was crouched over, scrubbing at the puddle of red that had amounted on the floor.

I quickly grabbed the pasta pan before it bubbled over and moved it over to the sink. Bits of black charcoal floated in the water, and the pasta had completely stuck to the pan.

I love my parents dearly, but neither of them were very good at cooking.

Dad got himself up off the floor, and threw out the red stained towel before making his way over to me.

"Thanks, Riley. Me and your mother were just trying to do something nice for you both. Turns out even pasta is harder than it looks." He signed chuckling to himself as he poked at the starch mess in the saucepan.

Both of us looked down at the pasta and instantly burst into fits of laughter.

I reached up and squeezed his arm before crossing over to the other side of the kitchen, opening the drawer and pulling out a take-out menu.

"I think that's a good call." Dad signed as he reached for the phone and took the menu from my hands.

Mum had changed and re-entered the kitchen as dad hung up the phone. She was drying the bottom of her hair with a towel, clearly trying to get the rest of the tomato out.