Chapter 6: Toxins and Tension

C L Y D E    P E T R O V

A few weeks go by and I haven't heard from Luther, honestly, it's a dream come true if you ask me. Thankfully I didn't face or hear him, I didn't want to be reminded by his words.

What he said... was it the truth? Probably. I just can't explain it, when he said it... it felt like I was a disappointment and a weak link. Luther is blunt but half the shit he says— never adds up. I recalled he wasn't good with words, actions were his thing.

A trophy to his collection, a lab rat to his experiment, a test to his antics, you name it— that's what I was to him. Luther Pierce, the ruthless mad scientist, wanted nothing more than the title. 'How could I be so naive?' I shunned my mentality. 'You're intelligent, angel.' Was something Luther always said to me, who recognized the intelligence in me.

Who knew he made me feel like the dumbest person in the world.

We had a past, a history no one could ignore— and something he could prove. Even if it's scientifically proven that love has no escape... I will find a way to escape him. I won't allow myself to fall in love with him, I can't, I just won't. I probably did have feelings for him before, but I won't make that mistake again.

I lay on my bed and stare into the ceiling fan as it moves in circles. My thoughts becoming deeper and more realistic. When I mention realistic I'm talking about my relationship with Luther. We were childhood best friends, and in a blink of an eye, we were strangers who simply passed by each other to get on with our day. 'Am I overreacting?' I think some more as I throw the tennis ball into the air and catch it, I use it as a stress reliever.

I wanted to daydream and overthink some more, but my lovely sister enters the room— note the sarcasm.

"What's got you thinking so much?" Claudia asked me as she leaned against the door frame of my room while holding a mathematics book.

"Like you don't know." I retorted as I got up from my comfortable grey bed. I glared at her and threw the tennis ball at my bed. We walked towards each other while Claudia carried a frown on her face while lowering her book.

"Clyde, I couldn't tell you about Luther even if I wanted to. I couldn't risk your mental health, I may act like a bitch to you, which I'm sorry for, but I don't want to be the reason you're hurt. You're my brother and I love you." She explained while motioning her hand to sit on the bed. I obligated nothing less and decided to hear her out.

We both sat on my bed in silence, I hummed trying to get rid of the awkward tension. Claudia took a deep breath and stared into the same eyes as mine; light grey with blue specs.

"Luther told me you would've died if I said anything, I understand you're upset, I would be too but you have to understand if I had a choice I would tell you. I don't want you to get hurt because of my mistake, we're family." She threw the family card at my face as I rolled my eyes. As much as I hated this conversation, she was right.

"It doesn't matter anyway, he was just using me." I forgave her as I grabbed my tennis ball from behind me. Claudia's eyes went wide and her jaw hung open. 

"Wait, what?!" She exclaimed as she raised a brow and leaned forward still holding her book.

"He said, and I quote "It was a game I was playing with you. You're still weak." he tried to defend himself and explain but I heard enough. I cried in front of him, Claudia. I don't even do that with you." I recalled the last conversation I and Luther had— I wanted nothing more than to break down.