Chapter 4: Leather and Cigarettes

N A R R A T O R

The room was deadly silent, you could drop a pin on the white marble floor and it would echo throughout the company. All were heard we're breathing and overthinking. The atmosphere was so thick and filled with unwanted tension, a knife would be able to slice it, so easy and perfect.

Clyde leaned into the office chair Luther offered him when explaining the story, or shall I say their history. Clyde didn't know what to say, neither did Luthor.

Clyde abruptly gets up from the leather chair and started to panic.

"I have to go..."

"What? Wait-"

Before Luther could get another word in, Clyde dashed out of the office and steps onto the elevator. He anxiously pressed the button to the main floor and leaned against the mirror, tapping his foot on the oak published floor and rubbed the back of his soft pale neck. Clyde took the minute to catch his breath stared at himself in the mirror. 'Really, Clyde?!' He reckons to himself. Disappointed at his reaction but not surprised.

Clyde recalled he has to babysit his little cousin, Anastasia, today. He also realized it's 1:30 A.M. 'Hopefully Claudia isn't awake..' Clyde thought to himself

Clyde redeems his way outside, moving through bodies to get into the taxi, and reaches the car handle. He quietly got inside the car and leans against the leather seat. He tightens his seatbelt and stares out the window as the driver drives by.

"Looks like we meet again." The taxi driver says, she turns around to look at Clyde.

"I'm sorry but do I know you?" Clyde thought to himself, she seemed awfully familiar to him but can't exactly put his finger on it.

"I can't forget a face like yours, remember me? I'm Willow!" She laughed as she takes a turn down the street. Willow being an excellent cab driver, she communicates to him through the rear mirror. "I remember I drove you here a few years ago. You were quite in a rush to meet someone."

"Wait what?!" Clyde frustrated himself, he looks down and tries to remember. He clenches onto the taxi seatbelt and sets one hand on the arm holder in the car.

"HOW COULD YOU! YOU'RE A MONSTER!"

"These are the drugs that will be in his system."

"Together forever."

"Do it."

"Oh my god... all of that? In that night?" Clyde gasped accidentally out loud. His breathing becomes rapid and unsteady. He took out his anxiety medication and inhales his pills in one shot, he usually takes his anxiety pills before bed but that was supposed to hours ago, so his schedule is now hammered.

Clyde couldn't believe it, his old memories returning to him by the simplest words, by a rare individual like Luther. They were only small portions of phrases, not the memory so Clyde knew it was useless to do the method by himself.

"I remember you were in a rush to meet your "best friend." Hopefully, everything worked out between you two!" Willow chirped around to face Clyde and sends him a sympathetic smile.