Chapter Four: Jupiter

The next couple days were like a complete 180. Spencer doesn't know when exactly it happened but he was actually starting to find you pleasant to be around. Spencer knew for sure you guys had turned a corner when he woke up one evening and there was coffee in the pot for him. Neither of you said anything about it, just sat quietly across each other drinking coffee. Then that day when you were at work, you called him over. He looked at you confused but went over anyway.

"Do you want to see something cool?" You said, Spencer nodded and you moved out the way so he could see the view from your telescope.

"That's Gaia. That icy plane you're seeing now is actually a lake. Hopefully with the approval of SPOT, we'll be able to know for sure."

"Why is your terraformer named SPOT?" Spencer asked.

"Honestly..." You chuckle slightly. "I just wanted it to have a dog name. Mars as Rover, we'll have Spot." You smiled.

Spencer looks over at you, seeing your smile up close was not something he had prepared himself for. He ignores the way his heart fluttered at it.

Spencer clears his throat. "Did you know that the Curiosity Rover is programmed to sing happy birthday to itself every year on its build date?" 

"I did know that." You laugh. "I kinda have to, given where I work."

Spencer hated how your laugh had such an effect on him already. His stomach swooped at the light, airy tone of it. It was almost melodic in a way, you sounded like a Disney Princess to him.

"Oh... right." You smiled and patted him on the shoulder before turning back to your work.

Spencer didn't like that one bit. You were suddenly being nice, almost too nice and it was playing with that part of Spencer's brain that came out every time a woman was nice to him. He was starting to become almost infatuated with you. And he couldn't let that happen, not when he had just lost Maeve, it wasn't right.

He was pulled out of his thoughts by the sound of you walking out the bathroom in your pajamas, hair tied up in a wet messy bun. You plopped down next to him on the couch, calling Alfonso to you who instantly laid a sleepy head on your lap. "Wanna watch Doctor Who?" You said, tilting a head at him when he just looked at you blankly.

"Uh... yea." Spencer says, you shrug and queue it up on the television.

Spencer is suddenly hyper aware of how close the two of you are. Your bare thigh was almost touching him, as you folded your legs under yourself, you were absent-mindedly petting Alfonso who had wandered into the small space between you and sometimes your fingertips would graze Spencer upper-thigh, making him instantly flush. He watched you more than the show, you had a content look on your face, letting a small chuckle leave your lips occasionally. Which would make Spencer now focus on your lips, more specifically how easy it'd be to lean over and kiss you.

He couldn't be thinking about that. It wasn't right.

Spencer stood up instantly, You looked at him in confusion.

"What do you think you're doing?" He said.

You look at him even more confused now. "Watching TV?"

"No not that, this." He said, gesturing between the two of you angrily. "Making me coffee, showing me Gaia, and watching TV with me?? Are you doing this because you pity me?!"

"God, Spencer, NO!"

"Don't bother lying. I know your mother told you about what happened to me. What happened to her." He couldn't say her name, not when he was already upset.