Chapter 2: the solution

My bedroom door opened. Mum stood there, a very stern look on her face. "Come with me."

I followed her obediently into Deirdre's room. My sister was sitting on her bed, her ankle was in a cast. I burst out with, "Oh, Dee. I'm sorry, I'm so sorry." I wanted to cry.

My mother spoke with suppressed anger, "First thing, James. Stay away from your father. I don't fancy being married to a murderer. Second, Pearl is in hysterics. I've told her that I will sort this out . . . and I will. Finally, you are going to take Deirdre's place at the wedding."

I opened my mouth to scream in protest, but one look at my mother's furious face stopped me cold.

"Undress. Everything off," she ordered.

I stripped to my undies, but Mum's glare told me that she meant 'everything'. I was naked and starting to shake. Mum tossed me a pair of Deirdre's panties. I didn't need to be told to put them on.

"Tuck your bits back between your legs as best you can and pull the panties up tight."

More clothes followed: a training bra with some padding, a singlet (or whatever they're called) a skirt and a girls t-shirt; calf-length white socks and sandals with a small heel.

Deirdre should have been enjoying my discomfiture, I was certainly owed plenty by her, but instead, she was looking at me with a weak sympathetic smile. That made me feel more ashamed at what I had done to her.

"Sit down," Mum directed, indicating the stool in front of my sister's dressing table.

Mum began brushing my longish hair. She kept at it for a while - I think it was calming her down. She murmured to herself, "Four weeks; it will get a bit longer, but may need extensions. We had better consult the hairdresser. At least, he's got decent hair."

She put some sort of band in it. A quick glance in the mirror revealed that my hair was now in a girl's style instead of the loose wild look I preferred.

Mum turned the stool around and began putting stuff on my face. Surely this was going too far, but I dare not protest. It went on and on. No wonder women took so long to get ready.

"Stand up. Now turn around slowly," Mum spoke a little less sharply.

I avoided looking at myself in the mirror as I turned.

"Wow," Deirdre exclaimed, "you look really good."

Mum was studying me with a critical eye, "We'll get her (her???) ears pierced when we consult the hairdresser. Probably need to pick up a few other items as well."

"Now," my mother continued, "I think the best story will be that you are a distant cousin who has agreed to fill in for Deirdre. The cousin will be staying with us until the wedding. We need a name."

"Sandra," said my sister promptly, "from Sandford."

"Clever." Mum approved still looking me over.

"Have a look at yourself, Sandra," she added.