Chapter Twenty One

Lorelei is looking shadier by the second. She almost killed me! She's uber strong. She almost took down a room of the supposed best of best. With only a simple flick of the wrist. No wonder the four pillars have more laws and restrictions, they truly are on a whole other level.

And I thought regular Caster's were scary.

Time to see exactly what I'm up against.

What are the four pillars and what do they have to do with me and the elders.

According to one of the various books I checked out of the library, Time Casters are part of the four pillars, no surprise there. There used to be only three Pillars until Energy Casters were discovered a little over a hundred years ago and inducted into the Higher Council shortly after.

There are four major branches of the Higher Council, also known as the four pillars. Psy Casters, Reality Casters, Time Casters, and Energy Casters. They are called the Four pillars because their powers have the potential to shape life as we know it. These are the only Casters whose actions could have lasting consequences and change the world, permanently.

There is a special council that deals exclusively with these four types of Casters. The Higher Council, different from the Celestial Council, being that all 12 of its members only come from one of four of the pillars. The Higher Council ultimately gets the last say on everything.

Too much power if you ask me.

Although the Celestial Council does have the power to override their decision by getting a full unanimous vote and getting the majority support of the world council, made up of Casters from all around the world.

The one and only time this has happened is when the Celestial Council overruled the order for all Psy Caster's to attend a special school with only members of the four pillars. The Casters who fall into the category of the four pillars are often required to go to a special school called Doncaster. Thanks to the Celestial Council, Psy Casters were given the option to attend a normal school like Belmore. This is because about 45 years ago a group of Psy Casters made a plea to the elders and the four pillars about being classified as normal casters. They wanted out from under the higher council and its control over them. The four pillars did not want to give up reign on the Psy Caster but the elders agreed with the Psy Casters stating that their numbers were big enough to be considered common and should be taught and treated as such.

The argument was that normalizing the Psy Caster could dissolve false stereotypes and dissuade crime committers. After a long legal dispute, it was determined that Psy Casters could choose which Caster school they wanted to go to and that by choosing differently than Doncaster they would be subjecting themselves to more laws and restrictions.

So they would still be under Higher Council law and considered as a part of the four pillars but if they attended a school out of the four pillar's jurisdiction they would also be subjected to the laws of the Celestial Council. Sort of like joint citizenship.

After that was decided, the other members of the four pillars also got the privilege to choose what school they wanted to attend with the understanding that they would be held to more laws and regulations depending on their choice.

Only about 5% of casters that make up the four pillars choose to go somewhere else besides Doncaster.

As anyone can imagine, the tension between the two councils is high.

Time Casters are exactly what they sound like, they can manipulate time. Not only that but they can also see into the past and possible outcomes of the future if they wanted to. Out of the four pillars, they are deemed the most dangerous and have the most restriction on their powers. There is only a handful of time casters alive right now, a couple of them younger than me.