Chapter 1

** This is my first novel. If you have any tips on how to make the chapter better or make more sense, please leave a comment**

As the wind cut through the trees my hair whipped around behind me. I pulled my coat tighter as I made my way to the old fountain. The only fountain in the small town that I have lived in my whole life. That's where I was told to go. I pulled the small envelope out of my pocket. It had only two words printed on the outside; my name; Millie Daron. Where the edges of the folded page met, there lay a wax seal, broken from when I had opened it earlier. I had never seen a wax seal in person before. This one was blue and had a swirly letter "A" on it. The note was handed to me in the hall earlier that day by Noah Myers. Noah moved to our town a couple of years ago from England. He was quiet, but nice to me when we were lab partners for a month last semester. We weren't friends, so I was confused about the contents of the note.

Millie, please meet me at the fountain at midnight tomorrow.

I wouldn't ask if it wasn't important.

I shivered against the cold as I reread the words that I had already memorized. I had debated all day about what to do. My rational side telling me not to go, that it was irresponsible, and my rebellious side telling me that I'd be fine, that no one would find out. In the end, I decided to go. What if he's in danger? I reasoned with myself. What if he needs help?

When I got to the fountain, there was nobody in sight. The night was pitch black so I had brought along a flashlight. The beam cascaded across the grass until I had a clear view of the rusty old chunk of metal. It had probably once been beautiful. The fountain was completely dried up now, as it always was. I walked to a nearby park bench and sat down.

I was uncomfortable in the dark so I sat very still, knowing that any sound would scare me. I waited for about fifteen minutes before I heard footsteps. I turned my head from side to side, trying to figure out which direction they were coming from. A tall figure stepped out of the trees to my left. He was wearing a hooded jacket, so I couldn't see his face. He stepped closer to me, moving slow.

"Noah?" I called out, my voice slightly shaking.

"I don't mean to frighten you," the boy said, his voice soft. Relief flooded through me as I recognized his British accent.

I sighed, not saying anything.

"Thank you for meeting me," he continued after I didn't respond.

"We're safe here for now. The agents made sure of it."

"Agents? For now?" I asked, a bit scared.

"Yes, Millie. I'll explain more later. First, there is something we need to do."

Noah walked toward me, taking off his hood. His dark blonde hair was ruffled more than usual from the wind and his green-blue eyes held no emotion. He stopped moving when he was two feet away.

I leaned back a little, still a bit worried.

"Millie, hand me your arm," he said.

When I didn't, he amended his words. "Please?"

I reluctantly reached my hand toward him when I realized that I trusted him. He took my wrist and flipped my arm over so that the underside was showing. He reached his hand into his pocket and took out a tube of something. He squeezed a little onto the upper side of my forearm, then rubbed it in with his other hand. My arm started to go numb and I wiggled my fingers to make sure they were still working.

"Don't move," he said sharply.

I let my fingers fall limp.

He looked up at me, "You might want to look away for this part."