keeping memories alive

"Leave me alone. I don't know where your keys are!" Blaine's shout of frustration finally made his mother stop harassing him as she went to the living room.

Blaine sighed, clenching his fists on the kitchen counter where his unfinished sandwiches sat beside his phone. He had to get back to the gift he'd been wrapping in plain blue paper because it needed a bow as a last touch. However, then his phone rang as the screen lit up. He put his thumb on the home button, leaned over it, and checked the message.

"Look out the window," it read. There was Hunter's name in the corner.

His brows formed a line, but soon his expression changed into a kind-of smirk. Although Hunter should have been picking him up any minute, he didn't expect it in such an intriguing way. Because when he looked out the window, which had a view at the front-yard, he saw Hunter's car, parked in front of his house and sparkling in the sunlight. His smile widened to a grin, his blurry reflection smiling back at him.

Blaine typed, "Going," and sent it, before rushing to his room to bring his backpack back to the kitchen, where his mom wouldn't disturb him as she'd already packed her lunch to work. Excluding the Valentine's Day gift and snacks, every other necessary item was already in the backpack, so he pulled the two ends of the ribbon tight and threw it into its largest compartment.

"I'm going out with a friend," he informed his mom, who nodded, not looking up from the drawer. One day he'd be brave enough to tell her that his friend was, in fact, his boyfriend; it had been this way for four months now.

He couldn't help sprinting out of his house, the backpack jiggling with each step he took. The smile seemed not to leave his face. Once in Hunter's arms, he pressed his cheek against the skin on his shoulder, pecking his neck. After Hunter let go of him, Blaine turned to see if his mom was watching, and when he was sure she wasn't, they kissed, not too long so that people wouldn't notice. Blaine didn't live in a tolerant area.

When they sat in the front seats, Hunter turned the key in the lock, the engine roaring in reaction. They soon were driving down the road. A catchy song was playing on the radio, so they sang along. Since neither Hunter nor Blaine could remember the lyrics, their singing was more like humming. Yet sometimes they stopped singing altogether because of sudden bursts of laughter interrupting it. At one point, they opened the windows so that the wind would ruffle their hair.

Hunter stopped the car in the parking lot. He'd kept a secret from Blaine where he was taking him, hence the furrow of his brows. "We're here," said he.

Blaine frowned. "What's here exactly?"

While turning off the engine, he exhaled through his nostrils, looked at him, and smiled. "You'll see."

As they got out of the car, winding paths, green lawns, and a grayish pond appeared in their view. Blaine's eyes widened at it, the scene astonishing him. He later peeked at Hunter, who winked at him.

Then Hunter handed Blaine his backpack and took a wicker basket out of the trunk, causing Blaine's eyebrows to rise. They went to the park, where they later laid a blanket on which they sat down. Hunter kept the rest of the basket a secret.

Hunter turned to look at Blaine, his head tilted. "Do you recognize the place?"

Blaine looked around. "Uh, no." He bit his lip. "Should I?"

"I don't know. It's not like I first came out to you as trans here."

Immediately his jaw dropped. "I'm sorry, Hunter! I didn't know. I feel bad now." He lowered his head, avoiding eye contact. "I hope you're not mad at me."

Hunter shook his head, and Blaine put a hand on his, rubbing his skin with his thumb. They stayed silent for a moment.

Blaine cleared his throat. "I find it funny that you had to specify. You know, your second coming out was when you suggested that you also liked men." He beamed at him, and Hunter soon smiled back, blushing.

Eventually the conversation had died, so Hunter took out a cake from the basket, then handed a wine glass to Blaine so that he'd dig it in the cake. Such a process caused them lots of chortles, though the frosting was constantly sticking to their noses. They also shared a few kisses during it.

Blaine put down the wine glass and wiped his mouth. "As we're almost done with your gift, it's time for mine." He reached for his backpack, pulled it closer, and searched it.

"You've got something for me?"

"Of course. I couldn't miss the occasion." He took out a blue package with a pink bow. "Here you are."

Hunter first untied the ribbon, then tore the paper from the gift. Now he was holding a bar of white chocolate, his favourite brand. He grinned at Blaine, but he didn't smile back.

"Turn it around," Blaine instructed him.

Although Hunter frowned, he did as Blaine said, and a white envelope appeared under the chocolate bar. He immediately opened it, and a few green notes were inside it. The furrow of his brows deepened.

"What do I need them for?"

The widest grin appeared on Blaine's face. "For your top surgery! I knew you were saving for it, but you couldn't afford it just yet. So I hope I helped a little." His eyebrows wiggled. "Of course, it's okay if you changed your mind. I'd never pressure you."

"No. It's just the best thing I've ever gotten." His eyes became teary. "Thank you. The best Valentine's ever."

Blaine hugged him. "Sure it is."

They both laughed afterward, falling on their backs so that they'd watch the sky.