Chapter 19

Once Ella stepped out to the gardens she let out a breath of relief. The relationship she had with her sister had always been complicated. Ella had often considered Becca more of a sibling than Annabelle. Tonight her sister had tested Ella's patience to a point of breaking them. Ella had become so lost in her thoughts she had not noticed that James had laced their fingers together until he spoke, "Your sister sure is, something."

An uncontrolled fit of laughter overtook her. As Ella wiped the remnants of tears from her cheeks she notices James staring at her with boyish amusement. "I was not aware my statement was that funny."

"No it was not. I have just never heard someone describe Annabelle so accurately before."

"I like to think I am rather adept at reading people."

"That is frightening."

"That I can read people?"

"No that you actually think that it is true."

"It is."

"No, it is not."

"Explain your logic."

Ella smiled back at him lifting their joined hands. James chuckled to himself shaking his head. "You do not count."

"Am I not a person?"

"Yes."

"Than I count."

"No, you do not."

"Of course I do."

"We are going in circles here."

"Obviously we are in a garden."

James released a hearty laugh, spinning Ella to face him. "You do not count because you are constantly doing things that are unexpected." He cupped her cheek in his hand lightly brushing her skin with his thumb. "You were unexpected." He captured her lips in a featherlight kiss ending it with a smile playing on his lips against hers.

Ella sighed contentedly, brushing the lapels of his jacket with her palms. "You have been here a long time. When are you to return to Hamsfield? I am sure you have obligations to attend to."

"Do you not mean when do we return."

"Trust me I really do want to go with you but.."

"She is not your responsibility Ella."

"I know that especially after what she did." Ella let out a frustrated groan. "I am concerned about what she is doing here. If she wanted money she would have batted her eyelashes to father a few time and asked already."

"Maybe she genuinely wants forgiveness, have you thought of that?"

"Nothing would make me happier. But unless you were blind to this evening's festivities, that does not seem likely."

James stepped away turning his back to Ella. She watched his head drop before he spoke again, "Why will you not allow yourself to be happy?"

Ella scoffed in annoyance. "You think I am trying to be miserable?"

"No, not intentionally. But you tend to put everyone else's needs before your own."

"You did not see how heartbroken my parents were by Annabelle's actions. I refuse to let that happen again!"

James turned back to Ella, sadness clear in his features. "What of your own heartbreak?"

Ella blinked rapidly, shaking her head in defiance. "I have not been heartbroken."

"Ella you caught the man you were going to spend your life with in bed with your sister. Let us not forget you lost your, our, unborn child less than a month ago. Yet instead of dealing with it you jump into something to distract yourself with."

"So you believe I just shut myself off?"

"I believe you distract yourself from the pain by focusing on anything but yourself."

"Oh please enlighten me."

"You willingly married a stranger because you believed that your parents reputation was somehow irreparably damaged by what Annabelle did. Now you are choosing to stand by and wait for another incident because you know if you go back to Hamsfield you will have to face what was lost."

The words made Ella stiffen with anger as they landed with a fierce blow. She briskly walked passed him, allowing sarcasm to drip from her words, "It appears you can read me after all." 

This time Ella did not attempt to hold back the tears he caused. Because deep down she knew every word was laced with the truth.