Chapter 14

The last few days had been an emotional blur for Ella. While she did not want to interfere in Helen's love life, she did wish to let her know the truth about her past relationship with William, and to subtly ask her to be careful. During all of Ella's recent interactions with the Hawthorne party, William included, James had stayed close to her. Ella could not tell if it was out of protection or him suddenly being territorial. Or perhaps out of something else entirely. Regardless of the reason, she found his attention comforting in ways she did not believe possible. The current evening however was another story. Ella and James had been relegated to having a dinner party at Hamsfield Manor with all the local members of high society.

"I still do not see why we cannot just throw everyone out." Ella let out a frustrated huff.

"I do not believe it would look well on either of our reputations if we did." A slight twitch from James' lips hinted at his humor.

"Yes we would not want to damage my innocent reputation and we definitely would not want society to see you as a recluse." Ella leaned into his strong frame and he responded with a hand ghosting along her spine.

"Yes that would be tragic." He breathed into her neck.

"I prefer dinner with just us." Ella purred in his ear.

"Preferably in bed." His hand rested on her hip and Ella bit her lip while tilting her head up to his. James' eyes darkened as he closed the distance between them.

"That would be nice."

"Yes it would." His lips gently grazed hers and Ella let out a soft moan in response.

She hesitantly pulled away, lifting her eyes to his. "Unfortunately we do still have guests to attend, since someone will not ask them to leave." James let out an annoyed grunt as Ella stepped away, her hand lingering in his as she headed to the other ladies.

"You know I am going to have to make you pay for that."

"I look forward to it." She winked in response.

******

The evening passed by with plenty of laughter and stories shared at the table. After dinner finished, Ella quickly headed to the library to grab a book to occupy herself with while the ladies chatted in the parlor. As she turned to leave she realized she had been joined by the last person she wanted to be alone with.

"Ella."

"Lady Winters, Mr. Evans."

"Such formality for two people who know each other as we do."

"Formality is left for strangers and acquaintances, which is exactly what we are."

"We were not always."

"Whose fault is that?" Ella lifted her chin as he cooly stared at her. The look brought the memories of the night she ended their engagement. The one accompanied with him telling her that they would be together again.

"You cannot honestly tell me that you are happy. You never cared for all the grandeur of nobility."

"It is no longer your concern if I am happy or not."

William stepped toward her, causing Ella's back to be forced into the shelves of the library. "Ella." He whispered her name, almost as a taunt.

"If there is nothing more we should return to our parties before they become concerned."

He reached out to brush a strand of hair behind her ear, and Ella's body tensed at the intimate touch. "Is that what you are truly worried about or is it because we have unfinished business."