Chapter 8

"I must say this is not the most awful gathering I have attended." Helen said with a sour expression.

After just a week of planning Ella and Becca somehow managed to pull off throwing a ball. Everyone in attendance seemed to be pleased with how everything turned out much to Ella's surprise.

"To be honest this is not exactly something I enjoy doing." Ella admitted.

"I can tell. Everything has a certain small village assembly charm to it." Helen shrugged.

"That is what I feared you would say."

"Like I said I have been to worse."

As the ball hit its peak Ella took a moment to take in the sights. Becca and Charles danced together as they had for most of the evening. Helen had joined a few of the dances but mostly chatted with other ladies from the village. James had made his rounds and engaged with the guests much like Ella herself. While looking around the room she spotted James speaking to members of parliament who resided nearby when he looked toward her and began to approach her suddenly.

"I believe we should at least amuse our guests with a dance." He coolly stated.

"We would not wish to disappoint the masses." Ella agreed as the two headed to the center of the floor well aware of all eyes on them.

"Have you at least been able to enjoy yourself?" He asked as soft music began to fill the room.

"Have you?" She countered.

He smiled softly at her before speaking, "You and Miss. Chambers did a wonderful job with the near impossible time frame she set."

"I do not believe it is a ball of noble standards though."

"No but it does seem to suit you. Simple and elegant."

"Careful that is two complements in nearly as many sentences. If I did not know any better I would believe you are starting to like me."

"Ah but you forget my complements are hollow so how can you be sure it is the truth I speak?"

"How foolish of me to forget such an important character trait of yours."

They both fall into another one of the silences that she had grown accustomed to. Ella found herself gliding with the music momentarily forgetting where she was. She looked to James and saw his dark blue eyes glowing in the flickering candlelight as he easily flowed with the steps of the dance his gaze never fading from her.

"Can I ask you a question James?"

"I hardly think I could stop you."

She let out an honest and surprising laugh before continuing, "If you do not enjoy these type of gatherings than why did you agree to having one?"

He sighed as if deciding if he should answer the question, "I feel as if you have gotten the worst of this arrangement. I get to continue on as I have always. You however have been uprooted from your life to live in a strange place surrounded by strangers. I had hoped this would at least be something you can do to put your mind to work. I do not know." He paused taking a deep breath, "Maybe I hoped you would at least have some sort of fun in the process."

"That is thoughtful I suppose. But I feel there is more to this than that."

He momentarily dropped his head before looking up to meet her eyes, "Truth be told, Collins and Jane approached me. The staff seemed concerned that you are not entirely happy here."

"I wonder where that idea came from?" Ella said while failing to suppress a bitter laugh.

"In the short time you have been here they have come to care for you. I honestly did not expect as much. I felt that I had to at least attempt to find something to bring you some type of joy."