Chapter 3

She could have guessed just by looking at him that Shane would be the first to say something.

'We don't even know her name and now we're having a dinner party? Nah, not happening.' She had been asked to sit a ways away while they had a meeting, so she was perched on a log at the edge of a field. She could hear them clearly though, especially Shane.

'If it wasn't for her Carl could still be out there. Hell, we might never have seen him again. She didn't have to bring him back let alone save him. A decent meal is the least we can do,' Lori retaliated. After everything that had happened with Sophia already, she could barely stomach the idea of him being alone out there.

'What harm can one girl do anyway? She certainly looks like she could use a meal,' Dale added. He saw no problem with a guest for the night.

'Since this is my farm, and my land, I'd like to let her stay.' Hershel was glad Carl had been brought back safe and sound. He'd hate to have wasted all those medical supplies, and Otis' life. 'I let your group stay all this time, what kind of a man would I be to turn her away, after bringing your boy back no less.'

'I don't like it. Not one bit,' Shane continued. He'd made himself clear already, but nobody particularly cared. After a few more minutes of discussion, they came to the agreement that she would stay, but her weapons would be taken from her and they'd get to ask her questions. Daryl, who'd been listening but not adding his opinion, whistled loudly to get her attention. She stood without looking over to them, walking their way. She already couldn't wait to leave.

Before being asked she handed them her bow and quiver from her back, two knives from her belt and a lighter from her pocket. Rick took them, handing the bow and arrows to Daryl and putting the rest in his pockets. Daryl knew he'd only done so because of his crossbow, not because he was trusted or a leader. Quite frankly he didn't care, it was some nice equipment to look at either way. Patricia opened the door and called out to them that dinner was ready. They all headed inside, Daryl at the back with the girl.

'Where'd you get this? Didn't have it at that church,' he pointed out. She thought for a second.

'Found it.' Daryl suspected she didn't mean it had been laying on the ground in the woods, but he didn't ask for more details. Her answer was enough for him.

Once everyone had sat down with a meal in front of them, and Patricia had handed the girl a damp cloth for the blood on her face, the questions began.

'What's your name? And don't tell us it don't matter this time,' Shane began.

'Names mean attachments. That's why it's irrelevant,' she stated. Daryl nodded in agreement, somewhat surprised to hear her say something he'd thought so many times. She really didn't mess around.

'What makes you think we'd get attached to you?' Continued Shane. He leant forwards mockingly, confident she wouldn't have a smart assed answer this time.

'Just happens. Especially now.' For the most part they seemed to agree that she wasn't wrong.

'So what do we call you then? Just Girl?' Shane got a grunt for a response and took it as a yes.

'Where are you from?' Rick thought he should move on to some better questions before Shane got himself riled up.

'Studied in New York, came down here for a road trip.'

'Are you alone out there? Have you been since the beginning?'

'Yes, and yes.' Rick almost couldn't believe one girl had survived alone for so long, after the things he'd seen in the city.