Chapter 5

Daryl found her half an hour later, walking through trees casually and childishly, swinging around the trunks. The rabbit they'd caught was dangling from one of her hands.

'So you're just gonna go, after turning that herd around and saving my group?' He asked, shouting to her. He knew it could just bring more walkers, but he didn't care. He wanted to figure her out.

'Yep,' she replied. She didn't even turn to look at him, just kept walking.

'You could have at least split the damn rabbit with me,' he spat angrily. He'd caught it fair and square, and he wanted some. She stopped and turned around, taking a few steps closer to Daryl.

'Why can't you just let me leave? I've been trying since we met, I'm better off on my own.' She sounded threatening, but looked like she was pleading with him.

'Nobody's better off on their own these days. I know, I've tried. Almost left that group more than once.'

'That still doesn't give you a reason to follow me.' Neither of them broke eye contact, and both held stances like angry dogs. 'I'm not your responsibility.'

'Maybe you weren't really risking your life back there, but you still did that for them. I let you. If you died I would've been responsible.' At this point he didn't really know why he was trying so hard. Still, he pegged it as sympathy. He felt sympathy towards her because they'd had similar upbringings and he understood her, and maybe she'd understand him.

'You couldn't have stopped me if you tried,' she retaliated. He didn't doubt that. She was tough and that was obvious. Maybe that's why the group needed her.

'I'm not stopping you from leaving now, yet here you are.' It would have been silent if the trees weren't rustling. Her face was a strange combination of rage, confusion and despair. A damn therapist couldn't have told him what she was thinking. Even when she started walking towards him, and then past him, he had no clue.

'I'll share the rabbit at your camp, but don't tell them about the herd. I don't want to look like some hero,' she called back. He followed her. In a way, he was proud that he had convinced her to turn around, and glad that he hadn't wasted his time going after her too. If she hadn't chosen to go back with him he would most likely have started an argument, which would only have drawn walkers to them.

They didn't speak a single word walking back. They had both said plenty for a while, and neither wanted to ruin what they had at that time, if it was even anything. They ran in to a couple walkers, but it was nothing they couldn't handle. When they reached the farm there was still daylight left, but it was well past midday. They had wandered far. Daryl immediately headed for his smaller campsite at the edge of the field, away from the others. She didn't question it, knowing she would have done the exact same if she was in a group. Some fire embers were still glowing, although covered in a thick layer of ash. She began skinning the rabbit while he piled dry leaves and sticks onto the dying glow, bringing it back to life as much as he could. She had fully removed the pelt by the time the fire was roaring, and Daryl had also found a long stick to roast the rabbit on. Once it was gutted and cleaned out, and the entrails were covered properly with dirt to avoid walkers, they took turns holding the stick above the flame. It was a peaceful activity, she thought, although she'd rather have been doing it alone and elsewhere. Despite thinking that, she couldn't deny that the company they shared by the fire was the best company she'd had in a while, and it wasn't bad either. Staying silent and getting a task done was her preferred way to spend time. It was precious these days, and she didn't like to waste it.

While Daryl was turning the stick, and she was watching the rabbit crisping up, she noticed how red his knuckles were. He had definitely hit something recently. She hadn't seen them like that earlier, but then again she hadn't been looking, nor had she been caring.