14 • Fanciful Indulgences

A/N: hiii a few people have asked about updates, and these will probably be weekly because i have college. thank you so much for all the comments (they always make me laugh) and for your support!! I CANT BELIEVE WE'RE ALMOST AT 10K READS- chile anyway enjoy ;)

Edited 8/8/22

George was certain he wouldn't look back, though once he was out of the caves and facing the rising sun, his resistance crumbled. He didn't know why, but he had expected Dream to follow him.

He wouldn't though, because he had the map, and plenty of food. George even left him an iron chest plate (not that he needed it).

George checked his compass. He was sure the Hunters wouldn't be far, both were mildly injured. Less injured, actually, than Dream, and the thought made George feel ill, because it was his idea to trap the Hunters, and it was his fault things didn't go to plan.

If he hadn't fallen into the trap, Sapnap wouldn't have been able to unleash hell on Dream... but Dream was fine, he told himself, willing his legs to go on. Dream was fine, and so was George.

After all, they didn't mean anything to each other.

The nightmare he'd had was what convinced George to leave, as ridiculous that was. It served as a stark reminder of what George was expected to do, to accomplish, otherwise the Hunters would suffer on his behalf.

And because he was weak, because he couldn't do it, he would have to lie to them all.

Dream's mask was in his pack, splattered with enough dried blood that it could perhaps trick some old fool of his death, but the Hunters? The King?

This was a terrible idea, to lie.

So turn around, idiot, said a voice in his head that sounded an awful lot like Dream. George ignored it.

He found an abandoned campfire, and hope inflated in his chest, until he realized there was no way the Hunters would be dumb enough to leave traces of where they'd been. Or... maybe he was meant to see it.

Curiosity got the better of him, and he walked over. Sure enough, they'd left a note.

Gogy — if you're alive
Base to heal
Back soon

Short and sweet to avoid much deciphering from strangers. And 'base' meant their hidden home in the village nearby — they had one set up in every village for miles across Woverold, though George wasn't sure which was the closest to them now.

Either way, the Hunters weren't far, probably, and they were seemingly okay. They weren't giving up either, if they planned to come back. They wouldn't be long, especially once they realized Dream had never left the caves. Especially once they realized George was still alive.

Sapnap must've been suspicious about what knocked him out, surely. If George went back, would they believe him? And if they didn't, if they somehow discovered what he'd done... They wouldn't forgive him.

George had a flash image of the whip in his head. Sapnap's scars. The King's mirthless laugh.

They all knew what was at stake.

George peered down at his hands, his bag shaking in his grip. He was going to be a coward by lying about Dream's death. He was going to be a coward if he didn't go. He was a coward either way.

Go back to Dream, turn on the Hunters; Go to the Hunters, turn his back on Dream.

He was smart enough to realize that neither choice was going to work.