five

third person's pov

"where the hell are we?" babe asked when hudson already parked the car. "you'll see." he said.

"now come on." he pulled out the key then went out. babe sighed then went out with him.

he went to the back and opened the trunk. he pulled out a folded picnic sheet and a hoodie. then he closed the trunk.

meanwhile with babe, she rubbed both her arms since the wind was making her feel cold while she was walking to hudson.

"here," hudson handed her the hoodie. "no thanks, i'm already wearing a jacket." she said, still rubbing her arms.

"no. it won't budge. just take it off and use mine instead." hudson insisted. "but hudson-"she said.

"babe." he reached his arm closer to her, not taking a 'no' for an answer.

she sighed, "fine." then took the hoodie. "thank you." he smiled, "take your jacket off and put it in the car."

she did what she was told while hudson waited for her.

"wow, this is soft." babe said, turning around to see hudson and putting her hands inside the sleeves.

hudson chuckled.

"come on." he held out his hand. babe lifted her eyebrows in surprise, "wow. how romantic are you?" she giggled.

"surprised?" he grinned. "a bit." she nodded while smiling.

his hand was still open for her to take. she took a second to look at his hand before holding, then hudson smirked.

"what's that for?" babe asked, noticing a picnic cloth held in his hand while hudson began to lead the way.

"it's for us to sit on." he answered.

babe looked at her surroundings. they were in an almost-empty parking lot. there were lights not far ahead.

after a moment of walking with their fingers wrapped around each other, babe heard the sound of waves.

she suddenly wonder where they were.

when they got closer, babe saw a huge ferris wheel. then immediately knew where they were.

"santa monica pier." she marveled. hudson looked at her amazed. he smiled at her then chuckled.

"damn.. you sure know how to treat a girl, hudson. i'm just surprised you hadn't gotten yourself a girlfriend." babe giggled.

he shrugged, "now i have." he smiled and looked at babe. babe scoffed at him but also smiled.

"this is gonna be hard." babe thought.

"now.. what are we gonna do if one of us loses?" babe asked. "i don't know. maybe.. i don't know." he shook his head.

"maybe you don't know?" babe furrowed her eyebrows. hudson chuckled while nodding his head.

they walked down to the beach next to the pacific park. the beach was surprisingly empty.

they went to the middle of the beach then took a spot near the water. he laid down the cloth before they sat down.

"now what?" babe asked.

he sighed, "have you ever just sit down.. and not do anything? no phones, no nothing. just blend in with nature."

babe looked at him surprised.

"you know.. you amaze me." she looked at him. "yeah?" he smiled. "mhm," she nodded while smiling back.

they both looked at the waves, felt the wind rushing through their clothes, the moon shined through the ocean making it the perfect night.

"we should've let jacob come." hudson said. "why?" "he's always inside. do you ever like.. have fun with him?"

"well yeah of course." "outdoors?" "if the park is outdoors, then.. yes." babe chuckled. hudson scoffed while smiling.

"just the park?" "oh come on, he loves it." "of course he does. he doesn't have any options other than the park."

"well where else should i take him? the mall? he hates it." "the movies?" "well- ...that's.. that's a good idea." babe said.

she shook her head, "still though- that's indoor." she said. hudson laughed at her making her smile.

"okay.. i can give you that." he nodded while leaving a wide smile from his laugh, "why don't we take him somewhere tomorrow?"

"i don't think we can." she sighed.

"why?" he asked. she looked at him and licked her bottom lip, "mom's a little uptight about him."

"but we'll be there." "she won't care." she shrugged. "let me talk to her then?" he asked, unsure of what he was dealing with.

"no." babe simply said.

"oh come on let me just-" "hudson. no." she repeated, touching hudson's soft hand while looking deeply into his eyes.

"why? are you like.. afraid of her or something?" hudson hesitantly said.

"of course not." she sighed, looking away to the waves again. "then.." he said, motioning her to continue.

"i just.. don't get along with her. that's all." "no. that's not all." he noticed. babe looked at him, a bit confused on how he figured it out.

babe hesitated to talk.

hudson sat closer to her, lounging his legs, putting both arms behind him to support his body, then lifted his one arm to hold babe's hand.

"aren't couples supposed to tell each other everything?" hudson asked, rhetorically.

she softly chuckled while slowly grasping his hand and leaning her head on his shoulder before taking a small sigh.

"it's complicated." she softly said.

hudson wondered about babe's mom. he wanted to ask babe but he knew that she wasn't ready to tell him yet.

so, he just stayed quiet and held babe to make sure she knows that she was safe around him. and she did felt safe, just didn't had the courage to say what was on her mind yet.