fourty nine

babe

friday

"hey, kenz?" "yeah?" she replied, opening her locker. "are you in the prom committee thing?" i asked.

"yeah, why?"

"can you take me off of it? i don't wanna be a part of it." i said. "why not? it's fun. we get to decorate and arrange this place."

"another reason why i don't wanna do it." i said. "oh, come on. don't tell me you're not going to prom too just because of hudson."

"what? i never said it was because of hudson. i'm just not in the mood." "but you'll regret it! don't say no to it just because you're not in the mood now!"

"i just-" "you're going, end of story." "ugh." i crossed my arms, "who are you even going with?"

"trip." she said.

my eyes widened and my lips formed a smile, "no way! so, what? you guys are together now? that's amazing!"

"no, we're not. he's doing me a favor."

"now that's just an excuse." i rolled my eyes. "well it isn't. i did him a favor and now he's giving me back a favor."

"okay, now you're just in denial cause it sounds to me like you're both in to each other, you just won't admit it. date him, what's the worst that could happen?"

"i am dating him still, remember?" "that's not real! it's just a dating game." "yeah, it's kind of sad, don't you think?"

"what is?"

"that whole challenge thing. why'd you come up with it anyway?" "i didn't. hudson did." "stupid of you to agree."

i nodded and sighed, "agreed." "which guy would you wanna bring? and don't say hudson."

"i wasn't going to!" i shot at her, "jeez, it's like everything's about hudson nowadays." i scoffed.

"well weren't you thinking of going to prom with him?" kenzie shrugged.

i looked at her with an irritating expression. i was kind of ticked off that hudson just always had to be my center of attention.

"no. i just don't think he and i are going to be friends again for a while." i crossed my arms and leaned to the lockers.

"what? c'mon, you guys had an argument. you're not gonna give up on him that easily, are you?" she said.

"that's literally what i've been doing since we broke up. but since he doesn't even care, why should i? you're right, i can't keep letting him in knowing he hurt me. so, i'm cutting him out of my life."

"what? you can't do that!" "oh, can't i? watch me." i said and pulled out my phone.

i went through my contacts and searched for his name. i clicked his name and put my finger on top of the block button.

"you wouldn't dare." she shook her head hesitantly. i gave her a look and pressed the button.

she sighed, "you dared."