eight

As the sun rose in the cloudless sky, and a cool breeze tricked through the window, the three boys were stirred from their slumber. It was warm in Mickey's bedroom; the kind of sticky heat that hung in the air, and scratched at exposed flesh. When they woke up, hangovers lingering, and throbbing headaches clinging to their skulls, there was a feeling of sweet excitement. Something light, and intangible. It was the first day of summer, and no hangover could spoil that feeling of eager anticipation.

They took turns to brush their teeth and shower, before changing into swimming trunks, and loose fitting t-shirts. For breakfast they ate pancakes, courtesy of Mickey's Mother, and laughed over orange juice. They were all in a good mood, with high spirits and bright eyes. River wasn't even thinking about what Declan had said to him the night before; 'Give me a chance'. It all felt like a bad dream. A distant memory from a past life. All that mattered now were pancakes with maple syrup and raspberries.

"These are delicious, Dominique." River told Mickey's Mother from across the dining table. He was smiling, and his freckled cheeks were glowing; he was practically radiating happiness. Maybe it was because, for the first time in a while, he was free from stress. Deadlines. Homework. Expectations. Pressure.

"Mm, they're so good, Ms. Hunt." Declan agreed, stabbing his pancake with his fork.

"Dude." Mickey kicked Declan from under the table, "That's not her name."

"It's not?"

"Hunt is my Dad's last name." Mickey told him. His voice was tight and there was an unreadable emotion behind it.

"Shit, sorry." Declan murmured, his eyes growing wide when he realised he had just sworn, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean..."

"It's okay, Declan." Dominique chuckled.

"Hey, you never say that when we swear!" Mickey's sister, Audre, protested.

"That's because Declan is a guest, Audre." Mickey sighed.

"So..." Dominique interjected, attempting to change the subject, "Tell me about the mystery girl who's picking you up."

"Her name is Riley." River said, reaching over the table and stealing a raspberry off of Declan's plate.

"Oi." Declan kicked him under the table, and River suppressed his amusement. He then turned his attention to Dominique, "She's from the skatepark. Mickey is totally crushing on her."

Audre giggled, "Ooh, Mickey has a girlfriend." She sung in an annoying high pitch voice.

Mickey rolled his eyes, and threw a blueberry at her, "She's not my girlfriend."

"Don't throw food." Dominique scolded him.

When Mickey's phone buzzed, he flipped it over, and checked his notifications, "Riley's outside. Let's go." He told the two boys.

"Have fun." Dominique told them, waving them off as they headed for the front door.

"Yeah, Mickey, have fun with your girlfriend." Audre shouted after them.

River and Declan thanked her for the amazing breakfast, and after grabbing their backpacks, stepped out into the warm summer air. A rusty blue Ford Focus was parked in the road, the windows cracked open, the sound of nineties British rock music blasting through the old car's stereo system. Riley was sitting behind the wheel, her short hair tucked behind her ears, dressed in a pair of frayed denim shorts, and a plain vest, the straps of her bikini peeking out at the neckline.

Mickey slipped into the passenger seat as River and Declan climbed into the back, the music fading as Riley turned the volume down. She twisted around, her dark eyes meeting River's blue ones, "You alright?" She greeted, "I'm Riley."