twelve

River checked his phone. Another missed call from Declan. He muted it, tucked it back into his pocket, and turned back to face Casey. They were perched on a couple of barstools in a noisy gay nightclub, sipping from expensive cocktails, and watching hoards of sweaty bodies mingle on the dance floor.

"Who was that?" Casey asked him, gesturing to River's phone.

"Declan." River replied, finishing the rest of his drink in one gulp, "But let's not talk about him."

"Did you guys break up?"

"We were never together." So, why did it hurt so much?

"You wanna forget about him?" Casey rose his brows, then pointed across the club, "That guy over there has been checking you out ever since we got here."

River didn't even spare him a glance, "I don't want to sleep with anyone tonight. I'm not in the mood."

Casey laughed, "Wait until you get a few drinks in you."

"I'm serious." He was. "I'm not hooking up with anyone tonight. I feel like shit."

"Fine. Whatever." Casey rose his hands in surrender, then waved at the bartender to get his attention. He ordered them a couple more drinks, and paid, "What did he do that was so bad?"

"He hooked up with someone else." River sighed. When he looked down at his hands, they were fuzzy. The alcohol was already starting to hit him.

"But you weren't dating." Casey countered with a frown, handing him another drink.

"It still hurt." River sipped at his cocktail, wincing as he felt the room spin, "How strong are these? I've only had two and I feel fucked."

There was something unreadable in Casey's eyes when he shrugged, "Maybe you haven't eaten enough today."

"Maybe." River agreed halfheartedly. But it wasn't true. Mickey had stayed with him the night before, and when he woke up this morning, he had cooked him breakfast.

Casey was stirring his drink with his straw absentmindedly, "So, what about Hunt?"

"Huh?"

"Mickey."

"His last name isn't Hunt anymore, it's Akoro." River corrected him, "And what about him?"

"How is he?"

"Why?"

Casey chuckled, "Fucking hell, you're on edge tonight." He teased, "Keep drinking, it will help you relax." He suggested.

River nodded, and obeyed, taking a few sips from his drink, "I'm sorry." The whole point of coming out tonight was to loosen up. But he was feeling more stressed than before.

"I'm only asking how Mickey is doing." Casey said nonchalantly.

"Oh." River breathed, feeling a sudden wave of dizziness overcome him, "He's fine." His words were slurred. What were in these drinks?

"I bet he's glad that you and Declan are over with, huh?"

"W-What...?" River held the palm of his hand to his temple, squeezing his eyes tightly shut, "What do you mean?"