ten

River woke up with his head on Declan's chest, their limbs tangled together beneath the covers as streams of sunlight trickled in through the blinds. He groaned as he rolled onto his side, his gaze landing on the clock, "Dec." He murmured, nudging the boy beside him, "We have to get up."

Declan responded by burying his face into the pillow and tightening his grip around River's body, "Why?" He mumbled.

"Riley is picking us up in half an hour." River tried to squeeze his way out of Declan's arms, but it was no use. Instead, he climbed on top of the other boy, and kissed him on the tip of his nose, "C'mon."

Declan grinned, placing his hands on either side of River's face, and pulling him down for a kiss, "Let's cancel." He suggested, half-seriously, "We can just stay in bed all day instead."

"We did that yesterday."

"And it was fun, wasn't it?"

River rolled his eyes, suppressing a laugh, "It's a beautiful day outside. We should enjoy it."

"It's a beautiful day inside too." Declan smirked, running his fingers through River's scruffy hair before kissing him on the forehead, then on his nose, then on each cheek, and finally, on his lips.

River chuckled, shoving him away and climbing out of bed, "Put some clothes on." He ordered, throwing Declan a t-shirt.

"Fine."

While Declan changed, River brushed his teeth before venturing downstairs to the kitchen in search of breakfast. He grabbed an apple from the fruit bowl, and noticed the curious look in his parents eyes as they studied him from across the room, "What?" River demanded.

"Nothing." His Mother shrugged, glancing back down at the newspaper.

"Are you and Declan dating?" His Father asked, earning himself a warning glare from his wife.

River sighed, biting into his apple, before grabbing the cafetière and starting to make himself a coffee, "No."

"It's okay if you are." His Father added.

"Yeah." His Mother agreed. "We like him. He's sweet."

"It's complicated." River said honestly. "Can we leave it at that?"

"He's been staying over a lot." She continued, "I know it's none of our business, but...you are being, well, safe...?"

"Mum." River glared at her, "I'm not going to have this conversation with you. No way."

Declan entered the kitchen a moment later, smiling and rubbing the sleep from his eyes, "Good morning." He greeted cheerfully, grabbing a mug from the cupboard and pouring himself a cup of coffee.

"Morning, honey." River's Mother replied.

When Riley pulled up outside, they rushed to put their shoes on, grab their stuff, and leave. Mickey was exiting his house at the same time, and when he joined them by the car, he grinned, "Morning, boys." He ruffled River's hair, and patted Declan on the shoulder affectionately.

Riley was in the front seat, wearing a black bikini top and a pair of shorts, a cigarette hanging from the corner of her mouth, the window cracked open the let the smoke out. Beside her, in the passenger seat, there was a girl none of them had ever met before, wearing a frilly white dress over her swimsuit. She had dark eyes, tanned skin, and bright pink hair pulled back into braids.