一, prelude

-1895-

A thousand years ago, a forest grew from the ashes of a volcanic eruption, flooding the blackened land with a sea of green. Here, the trees grew so tall they blocked out the sun, with roots that penetrated deep into the mineral-rich earth, thus bringing forth new life and prosperity.

Its name was Aokigahara, the Suicide forest.

Men, women, and children alike wander into its comforting arms, seeking bittersweet release as they down pills and tie knots, eyes empty of tears, faces blank of expression. They sit amongst the gnarled, mossy roots and tilt their heads up, half-open eyes gazing at the canopy so thick, not even broad sunlight could penetrate its walls. It's peaceful here, and deadly quiet, scarce a bird's call nor the timid rustling of small woodland life, the rich greenery having heard too many last breaths and final murmurs.

"This way! Come on!"

Leaves are jostled and branches crackle under the weight of a girl as she flees, her long skirts shredded and soiled, snatching bits of bush and bark. She pants heavily, fear flooding her eyes and lending speed to her legs as she clutches at a dagger, the softened leather sheath slippery in her clammy palms. She runs with desperation to keep up with her friend, a boy whose bottom half of his face is bandaged with silk, his snowy white hair askew and damp with sweat as he pulls her along, trying to shake off their pursuers without avail.

"Anzu!" A voice calls, it's male, gruff, and blaring with irritation. "Where are you?!"

"Anzu!"

The girl ignores their demands as they reach a tight grove of trees, their trunks so close she had to suck in a breath in order to squeeze through.

"They're going to catch us eventually." Anzu sighs, staring at her horrid reflection in the blade, her busted lip, her bloodied hair. Tears rise in a hot torrent, bursting out of her eyes and leaving salt-stained racetracks down her cheeks. Her thin, emaciated body trembles with each sob. "Aki's already dead I don't want more people to die because of me."

"Anzu!" They were getting closer now, her captors, the cause of her pain. She could hear the frenzied barking of hunting dogs, the shrill whinnies of horses, and shouts of soldiers as they charge through the forest, searching for their weapon.

The boy grasps her wrist, his violet eyes dark with determination as he pulls her in for a quick but reassuring embrace smelling of sweat and grass. He crosses both arms over his chest, forming an 'X' and then resting his knuckles against her forehead. 

I will protect.

"And who will inherit the cursed speech when you are dead?" She jokes, her voice trembling as the sound of hounds barking draw closer with each passing second. 

"Trust." He insists. "I can do it."

They stood back to back, listening to the thundering of footsteps draw closer until they find themselves surrounded, bloodstained weapons aimed towards their chests. Anzu raises her gaze to meet the venomous eyes of Kamo Noritoshi, her grip tightens on the dagger.

"There's our runaway!" He exclaims, eyeing the two of them with malice. "And an accomplice it seems."

"Anzu." Inumaki grasps her hand briefly before exhaling deeply. "You better take him down."

The spell-caster cups his lips with his hands, projecting his command as powerfully as he could to ensure there would be no survivors. No survivors, no witnesses.

"Kill yourselves."

She knew, whoever was within earshot would be affected, including her, but for the sake of the people who had fought so bitterly to grant her freedom, she was more than willing to accept what fate had planned for her. After all, seppuku was a glorified practice of death, it was considered an act of bravery and honourable to kill oneself rather than risk capture by the enemy. Inumaki chokes, a fountain of blood bursts from his lips, the backlash of his ability had ripped his vocal chords to shreds, but he'd done his part. He hears the fearful cries of soldiers as they died by their own blades, the soft thuds as they crumbled to the ground, and Anzu's staggered gasp.

I thought I would be afraid, not of death, but the pain that causes it.

The pain of loss, the anxiety of the unknown, and ultimately wondering whether by dying on my own accords I'm considered weak, or strong?

The dagger's blade presses against her stomach. 

It's a...peaceful feeling, getting to choose.

Anzu smiled as she died, her life coloured the blade a deep scarlet as it entered the soft flesh of her body, ripping and sawing through flesh and organ until her skirts grew heavy from the scarlet waterfall. The pain was slow and agonizing with no one to deal a merciful final blow, but there was a beautiful calm that came with her suffering as she collapsed to her knees, death embracing her in a gentle lover's caress. She glanced up to see her friend standing over her, his eyes horrified at what he'd done.

"Get out of here." She nods, and with one final, regretful glance, he speeds away, running until the forest swallowed his body whole. 

"Do not assume this is over, I will return, and you will pay dearly. You of all people would know there are worse things than death."

Kamo's infuriated threat reaches her ears as they locked eyes, his katana pierced through his chest, his hand clutching the blade. Forced to obey, he pushed the sword deeper, pulling it out only to plunge back in, over and over, until his innards seemed to spurt from his body in a gruesome fountain. The sound was a victorious symphony.

I know, that's why I'm going to follow you into the depths of Hell, wherever and however we continue. You will never again harm the people who fought for my freedom, not them nor their descendants. I will win, Kamo.

Her eyes fluttered shut over dark, glassy pupils, the tiniest of breaths escaped her lips and her body fell still, stiff fingers clutching at the dagger as it slipped out of her grasp.

The vengeful spirit woke weary and disoriented, fresh blood oozing from her hands as she opened her eyes to gaze at the lightless canopy, nightfall granting her little sight as pure cursed energy flooded through her veins. It would be a while until her memory returned, but as she wandered through the forest, heart full of hate and bitterness, her mind cleared to hear a single voice.

"A desire for vengeance is a powerful driving force, almost as much as spite. Yet, hate him as you did, you ran from him like a frightened doe. I look forward to seeing how you meet your fate, dear coward."