Chapter 1: Royal seal

The morning sun beamed into the room, hitting the floor and bed and her face. Toph's eyes fluttered open. She focused on her surroundings and heard the maids walking up and down the hall, and a few men speaking. It was a hectic morning to say the least. The king and queen's family were visiting for the celebration of their 30th wedding anniversary. Which meant more work for the maids.

Toph sat up in her bed and wiped the sleep away from her eyes. She sighed heavily before getting out of bed and grabbing her set of clothes for the day her mom left for her the night before. She walked into the bathroom in the room and began her routine. She may only be 10, but she was responsible and could do things by herself. Despite being blind.

After Toph finished getting ready, she walked out of her room where she found her cousin.

"Ah, you're awake and ready! I was just about to come and get you. Everyone is in the dining room, "

"Morning to you Eun" She sighed, "Let's just hope everything goes well at the table this time"

"Oh the tension in the room is disturbing,"

Toph groaned, "Let's just get this over with. Today's our last day and tomorrow we'll leave in the morning."

"After you," He bowed. Toph rolled her sightless eyes and walked ahead towards the dining hall.

Eun caught up to Toph and together they walked to the dining. When they arrived, it was eerily quiet. They went their separate ways and sat in their designated seat. Toph took her seat next to her mom.

Everyone waited for the king to take a bite of  his food for everyone to begin eating. It's a rule to not eat before the king eats. Everyone has to wait for the king to begin eating for everyone to start eating. Toph heard soft movements and her mom, poppy, whispered in her ear to begin eating. She hated when her mom would tell her that. She always reminds her that she could see with her feet and sense everyone's movement. Her mother would always laugh it off and continue on with eating her food.

After breakfast, Toph parted from everyone and went to the garden. The garden was her go to place in the palace to get away from everyone. It was always quiet, and no one would be around unless it's the time of the month for the gardeners to come in. 

She walked around the garden, taking in the peace of no one being around. No watching over her or bothering her and-

"Toph!"

There goes her peace and quiet. Toph sighed and walked towards the source.

"Oh Toph, there you are. We have a family meeting in the family room," said Eun

Toph sighed, "What now?" She walked past Eun and began walking out of the garden.

Eun followed behind her. "You'll see, it's pretty important,"

"What, y'all finally want to hang out with me?"

"Hey, we apologized." He defended

"Correction, you apologized. Everyone else just pretended like they didn't ghost me for 10 years,"

"Okay, I'll admit to that and I'll say it again. I'm sorry,"

"Apology not accepted until you tell me what this meeting is about."

"All i'll say is Royal seal"

"Royal seal?"

Eun walked ahead and Toph followed behind. Before they walked into the family room, Toph could hear her parents bickering with the king. And when the two missing relatives walked in, it got quiet.

"Toph, sweetie, come sit here," Poppy said, patting next to her on the sofa her parents were sitting on.

Toph walked across the room and sat down next to her mother. She kept her head down and it stayed quiet until her grandfather spoke up.

"Toph, what are your thoughts on meeting people within the royal society?"

Toph raised an eyebrow, "Like... letting them know I exist?"

"Yes, like revealing your secret with the people we most trust,"

It was quiet as Toph had to think through this. Growing up, Toph was all alone because no one wanted to be around her. And it was just recent that everyone started having small talk with her. Now it all makes sense .

"How long have you all thought about this?" She asked

"A few months. We got an invitation to the royal wedding in the southern watertribe. It appears King Hakoda is remarrying. We think this would be a good opportunity to introduce you to everyone - behind closed doors of course"

"How do you plan on explaining why i'm kept secret," She asked

"We'll tell the truth. We're only telling people we trust"

"And who are those people to be exact?"

"The Southern and Northern watertribe and the Air and fire nation" He listed

Toph quietly sighed, "Sure, why not"

"That's great. You're excused now"

Toph stood up and left the room, but not before Eun followed behind her.

"Do you really think this will work?" Asked prince Akio

"I'm sure once she meets with the children, We'll find the right one for Toph to marry." said the king

"She's 10. We have 6 more years to choose her groom. Why now?" Said Sara, Akio's wife.

"We want Toph to marry a good man and someone she's comfortable with. At the party, we'll write down who we think is a good fit and we'll keep tabs on them until it's time for her to wed." Explained Prince Lao, Toph's dad.

---

"So, are you excited to meet new people?" Eun asked once they were far enough from the family room.

"No. I don't know how to talk to anyone. You and Tori are the only people i've actually socialized with-"

"I heard my name" They heard from behind them.

"Hey Tori" The two said in unison.

Tori is Eun's little sister by 11 months. Their parents didn't waste time as you can tell.

"Nice of you to finally join us," Said Eun

"I'm so welcomed," She said sarcastically. The three continued to walk out of the palace. "So, how's the champion of the underground earthbending tournament doing?" She asked when no one was around

"Shhhh" Eun and Toph shushed her

"Keep it down loudmouth" Toph whispered

"No one is around. We're fine,"

"Still. I don't want to risk my secret getting out."

"Okay, fine. You think you'll meet any cute boys?" She said with a smirk. Her brother rolled his eyes.

Toph sighed and waved her hand in front of her face, "Oh, right"

"Don't worry Toph," Eun said, putting an arm around over her shoulders, "Everything is going to be just fine. Besides, you have Tori and I to back you up if things go south."

"See what I did there? Go south, we're going to the south..." Eun explained, chuckling.

Toph and Tori groaned and rolled their eyes.