3. Rejection

Raven pov

It's all frustrating.

First, Eva becomes distant and my parents turn quiet. Then, I try to  befriend that weirdo Addal but that freak turns me down. What else can go wrong?

At least I know how to keep my head above the water and not drown. Unfortunately, it doesn't stop me from sinking. Where did I go wrong?

Slowly, I sink to the bottom of my pool. My world turns quiet, and the noise above becomes distorted. For a minute, I feel everything is right, until it's not.

"Today is the day. We officially become mates with our mate." My wolf, Rainbow, yells in my head. Her constant pacing back and forth in my head drives me insane.

Maybe drowning is not so bad, if I can have a moment of peace. A moment of clarity on why I feel like my life is spiralling down without me knowing.

"Maybe it's human hormones or because we don't have mate by our side?" Rainbow shouts.

All she can think about is mate, mate, mate— shut up. And she does, but not without throwing me a snarl before being tucked away in the far corner of my mind.

Leaving my mind empty, I prepare for school. My room across the hall makes the trip easier. Maybe the house renovation wasn't that bad as mom said, but change was never my strong suit.

Time went quick and I'm downstairs making breakfast for my little siblings. The pan sizzles and the oil sputters, I turn the heat down and move my head to the sound of pitter-patter.

"Good Morning Bedbugs." I smile.

The twins— Charlie and Reina— only nod their heads and yawns, "Happy Birthday."

Just like dad, they are not morning people. I can see a little of dad in them when they sit down in front of their hot cocoa. The same dead stares in their dark eyes and hunched over as they take a sip of their drink.

I slide their breakfast across the marble top of the kitchen island. They mumble a "thank you" before eating.

"Dad and Mom are busy with work again, so you won't see them until your party," Reina says.

"Figures," I reply before taking a bite of my food, "Is Beta Jones taking you to school."

They nod before stuffing their face with more food. I look away in disgust, "Pigs."

"Oink, oink!" Charlie makes a horrible pig impression and Reina laughs. I smile, feeling slightly less shitty than before. Sadly, that feeling does not last long.

Later, at school, I've become more frustrated as Rainbow becomes more annoying.

"Where is mate?" She asks, but if she doesn't know why would I know.

That doesn't make her wrong either, I have been wondering where Eva is. We always meet at the school's entrance but she wasn't there like usual. Now it's lunch time and I still haven't seen her.

"Have you seen Evangeline, Raven?" Ray asks as the mother hen he is.

"No, I haven't." I hiss, and Ray flinch at my tone, but I didn't care. I was frustrated enough already.

"Maybe you should care," Rainbow replies.

Shut up.

"Making people feel as shitty as you is not helping anyone." She nags

Shut up.

"We are going to be Alpha soon, so you have to shape up." She continues on.

I know, so shut up. Shut up. Shut Up!

"Are you alright, Rave?" Solomon asks with concern written on his face.

No, but it didn't help that a certain freak walks by. Addal walks by, emanating a smell that drives my wolf insane. The scent of a burning forest and a hint of violet. She didn't look half bad today. Wait—what did I just think?

"Mate," Rainbow yells.

No! It can't be!

"Raven?" Solomon asks in surprise.

By now, the few students left in the hallway turn their heads in my direction. Shit, did I say that out loud?

"Yes, yes you did." Rainbow replies.

Fuck it, I grab the freak's hand and drag her into the janitor's closet. She didn't speak, but I already have my ears full with Rainbow gushing over her.

"I, Raven Cheshire, future Alpha of the Roman Pack rejects you, Addal..."

What is her last name?

"You don't even know our mate's last name?" Rainbow howls. "We shouldn't even be rejecting her either. You will regret fighting against the Moon Goddess's blessing."

Shut up, That human is not my mate! Humans are too weak and soft, they shouldn't even be with our kind.

Rainbow growls at that statement. "You're so privileged, you forget that you are a human yourself. Do not question the Moon Goddess!"

Whatever

"Loverlorn." A soft voice speaks.

"What?" I reply, not understanding what she said.

"I said my last name is Lovelorn." Addal replies. She was emotionless as usual, like nothing ever bothers her. That made me hate her even more.

"Right. I, Raven Cheshire, future Alpha of the Roman Pack rejects you, Addal Lovelorn." I flinch as every word feels like something is tearing in my heart.

"I, Addal Lovelorn, accepts Raven Cheshire's rejection." She says the words, completing the tear in my heart.

The pain crush me, while my wolf howls in pain. Everything is in slow motion, my back sliding against the wall, and surrounding sound is muffled by my heartbeat.

Yet, Addal stands there unaffected, until she turns to leave.

"Wait!" I call her. "How did you kn—"

"I don't know, but I overheard playboy Jace and tomboy Joel did something similar last month." She says before leaving me here alone.

Thanks a lot Jace, Joel. I curse at my luck.

"Why do I feel like I'm drowning today?" I asks out loud to no one specifically.

"Because you keep pushing everyone away," My wolf answers.