𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 2 ♡︎

Damon, we need to talk."

He turns around and looks up at Elena who has just spoken. They're about to go outside to dance at the Miss Mystic Falls ball but Damon stops anyway and waits for her to go on.

"I... I tried to call Stefan. I haven't seen him since yesterday afternoon and... He's not answering his cellphone."

"Does that surprise you?"

It sounds a little harsh, but Elena chooses to ignore it.

"No, I know he doesn't want to talk to me and it's understandable. Which is why I asked Caroline to call him, and she got his voicemail too."

Damon frowns and then sighs.

"Well, I suppose you would figure it out sooner or later so..."

"What? What is it, Damon?"

"Stefan left town earlier. I saw him at the house and he had a bag on his shoulder. I think he'll be gone for a while. Listen, Elena..."

He goes up the stairs and stands in front of her.

"It is hard for him; it's hard for all of us. He just needs time."

"Where will he go? And why didn't he tell me?"

"Elena, Stefan owes you nothing. He decided not to tell you and that's his choice."

He can't help but being a little unnerved because of her attitude. He knows that she still cares a lot for Stefan, and a part of her will always love him, but he also saw the hurt and the pain in his brother's eyes and Damon would be a liar if he said it didn't bother him.

"I know... I just hate seeing him hurt because of me."

"He'll get better. Now come on."

He takes by the arm, and together they walk down the stairs.

"To us."

"To us."

Katherine empties her glass within two seconds and immediately, her hand shots up to order another one. Stefan is quick to follow. They're at a bar in the middle of the afternoon, and he doesn't exactly know where. It's not like it matters anyway. He can't believe he's actually sitting next to Katherine and drinking with her. Not to forget her, but to forget Elena. Things change.

"So where do you wanna go next, Mister Salvatore? Anywhere I should drop you off?"

"What, you already want to get rid of me? You're offending me, Miss Pierce."

She smacks his arm lightly and laughs.

"No, I'm just curious. You have plenty of connections all over the country. Where should we be headed?"

"I don't know let's just enjoy it here and then we'll drive. Maybe we'll end up at the ocean or something."

"The ocean it is, then. Cheers!"

Stefan is pretty sure that the sand has infiltrated his clothes, but he's too far gone to care. He can feel the water at his feet. His eyes are closed but that doesn't help his head to stop spinning. There are three empty bottles of bourbon next to him, and two are still full. Suddenly, he feels droplets of water falling onto his face, and his green eyes open. Katherine is leaning over him, her hair wet and she's clearly amused to see him so drunk.

"So what, now you can't handle a bit of alcohol?"

"We've spent the whole day drinking. I'm not five hundred-and-something years old. At some point I can't take anymore."

She smirks and lies down on the sand beside him. The sky is full of stars tonight, and the sand is warm even though the sun set down hours ago. They remain silent for a long time, and Katherine starts thinking that Stefan has fallen asleep when he speaks.

"I knew it would happen, eventually."

She doesn't answer, so he goes on.

"Damon was a great guy when we were human. Being a vampire hurt him and made him bitter, but inside he's still that same great guy. A young man who lost his innocence and his life way too soon."

His thoughts are surprisingly clear for a drunken man.

"Why would she prefer me? I can't give her what she needs now. She needs to be controlled and I can't be near human blood for too long without wanting to snap and start killing. I can't drink it. Damon can. He's the best choice, the best option."

Katherine sees the first tear rolling down his face, and silently she uses her thumb to wipe it away. Stefan doesn't push her away. It's weird, she thinks. It's not something she usually does, listening to someone's problems and heartaches. The small gesture makes Stefan feel slightly better. At least, someone is here for him and only for him.

"Do you think we're cursed? Damon and I?"

That almost makes Katherine laugh out loud.

"Why would you be cursed? If anything, Elena and I are cursed."

"Then we're all cursed," Stefan says in a serious tone.

"Yeah. Maybe we are."

He reaches for her hand and she gladly lets him take it.

"Thank you for being here. Do you think we can sleep on the beach tonight?"

"Sure."

Long after Stefan has fallen asleep; Katherine gets up and walks for a while on the damp sand. She needs to clear her head and remember that Stefan is heartbroken and that the small gestures like taking her hand do not mean anything to him. He just needs comfort. She looks back toward his sleeping form a hundred feet away. Yes, really, Stefan is her weakness.