𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 3 ♡︎

Stefan wakes up to the sound of someone approaching. His head hurts like hell, and he has to rub his eyes several times before being able to open them. The morning jogger who awoke him gives him the thumbs up and a smile before continuing his run. It takes him a second to understand. Katherine is pressed against his right side and one of her hands is resting on his torso. He can't remember the last time he saw her looking so vulnerable. And he can't remember what happened last night. He just vaguely recalls their arrival to the beach. Then Stefan sees the bottles next to them and he shakes his head lightly. His eyes land on Katherine again and he sighs. She looks so much like Elena in this moment that the pain of losing his girlfriend to his brother comes back full force. But he doesn't move and he doesn't look away. Her face is compelling and Stefan tries his hardest to remember that this is Katherine, and that Elena left him and doesn't love him anymore.

Unconsciously, his right arm closes around her waist and brings her even closer against him. Katherine and he have history. They share a common-although brief-past. And even though he suffered because of her, Stefan knows that Katherine has had her fair share of pain as well. For a moment, he lets the memories flood his mind; memories of his human years, the years spent before and after Katherine's arrival in his and Damon's lives. Everything was much more simple back then.

Stefan's eyes fix the morning sky as he remembers the day the three of them had played outside, in the beautiful garden of the Salvatore mansion. There was something so powerful in that moment, before things had gotten complicated and he had had to compete with his brother to gain Katherine's affection. Stefan feels like it's 1864 all over again, except that now the woman's name isn't Katherine but Elena. And he meant what he told Elena: he can't do this anymore.

Drowned in his thoughts, Stefan doesn't notice that Katherine has opened her eyes. Only when he looks back at her and his gaze meets hers does he realize that she's awake. The moment is less awkward than what Stefan has thought it'd be.

"Hey. How long have you been awake?" He asks her.

"Just a minute. Are you okay?"

"My head feels terrible, but I'm fine."

She nods, and it's another minute before she finally moves away from him and stands up. Did they really just share a moment of intimacy? She was wrapped around him like a lover would be. As soon as the thought comes to her mind; Katherine dismisses it.

"Well maybe we should try to find you some aspirin."

"I have another idea."

Katherine barely has time to turn to look at him that Stefan is standing in front of her with a mischievous grin.

"Stefan?"

Using his vampire speed, Stefan sweeps Katherine off the sand and runs toward the ocean with her in his arms. The next second, they have water up to their waists and they are laughing hard.

"It's not even seven in the morning!" Katherine yells.

But she can't erase the smile on her face.

"So what, you needed a shower!" Stefan answers playfully.

She splashes water onto him and they decide to swim for a while. It's incredible-and a little disturbing-that Katherine has the power to make him forget everything else. He's just so young and free around her. And he still thinks she is stunningly beautiful. Stefan finds himself swimming closer to Katherine and they stop smiling once they're face to face.

"You do realize we'll have to wait until our clothes are dry before getting back to the car, right?"

"Well, it doesn't look like it's gonna rain anytime soon. I don't mind spending my day here."

"I'm getting hungry, Salvatore."

"We still have alcohol on the beach and please, don't tell me you don't have blood bags in your car."

"I might have two, or three. But what will you hunt, here? Fish?" She teases him.

"Maybe I could take just a little blood from one of the bags. If you don't mind sharing."

His almost shyness is something that Stefan already had when she met him in 1864. That's part of what made her fall for him.

"Sure. But just so you know, I'm fine with you eating rabbits."

And just like that, she makes him smile again.

"So, I tried to call Stefan again today, but no luck. Listen, Elena, I understand that you're upset but I won't keep trying to call him. He needs time and I respect that."

"I know, Caroline. Sorry. I understand that you don't want to be in the middle of this, I'm just worried."

"He's a vampire, Elena. I don't think you need to worry about him. He probably just chose to visit some friends."

"Yeah..."

This doesn't help Elena from feeling guilty. Stefan left two days ago and he didn't pick up his phone once. She knows that things are over between them, but it doesn't mean that she wants Stefan out of her life. Caroline waves her hand in front of Elena's eyes to get her attention.

"Okay, stop mopping. Let's do something fun, today! Drama-free, no boys. Just the two of us and Bonnie, if she's not too busy with Shane."

Elena takes a few seconds to think about it. Some time apart from Damon will do her good. Plus, she really needs some new clothes. She ruined too many shirts with blood.

"It's a great idea. You're right, let's call Bonnie!"

Caroline smiles and nods. Hopefully this will take Stefan out of Elena's mind. At least for a while.